Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Can eastern vocalists sing higher vocal ranges like western vocalists?

As far as i heard most of the eastern vocalists dont have the ability to sing in higher vocal ranges. most of them barely can sing more than 2 octaves.Is it about genes or can we achieve that by accurate vocal practicing? you are warmly welcome to the discussion...

Comments

• Vocalist_UdaraVocalist_Udara Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2020
    I love western music more than eastern. i want to sing western songs accurately. but my range is too low. i can pitch perfect within that range but dont know is it possible for me to sing higher ranges. sir Ken, i would be very glad if you could give an explanation.. :(
  • How many vocalists are you basing this on? What style are they singing? How do you know they can't sing higher? What evidence do you have that this is a genetic truth? You are making a generalisation of the physical ability of over a billion people. Singing range can definitely be increased by correct training, unless there is a physical reason why someone's muscles won't respond to being correctly worked out.

I am guessing you are male. It is not unusual for men to have little experience of using their head voice. But it absolutely can be trained.
    Sophia, Usually the people in my country have a different accent and a vocal range. if you can find some sinhala songs from youtube you will understand the styles.Thankyou very much for your comment and iam already encouraged by it.
  • The small range of pitch in some Sinhala folk music is to do with that style, not genetics. Accents do not affect vocal range. A person's singing vocal range is the entire set of notes, from the lowest to the highest, that someone can properly use in a song, and this can be increased, in both directions.

I am Indian. I know I am not genetically identical to Sinhalese people, but I think I count as "Eastern" and I can assure you that I can sing high notes, even before starting Ken's course. :) It is definitely possible.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I take it you’ve never heard of Dimash.

No, range is not restricted by region, ethnicity or anything else like that. A persons range is biological and unique to them.

That said most singers haven’t learned how to use their full range yet so with practice they can grow their range to their biological maximum but won’t be able to increase it further once they have hit the limits of their biology.

If it really is true that most eastern music tends to be lower ranges then that is more likely a result of cultural influence not biological limitations. Maybe people in the east just prefer music to be in those ranges?
    Sophia said:

The small range of pitch in some Sinhala folk music is to do with that style, not genetics. Accents do not affect vocal range. A person's singing vocal range is the entire set of notes, from the lowest to the highest, that someone can properly use in a song, and this can be increased, in both directions.

I am Indian. I know I am not genetically identical to Sinhalese people, but I think I count as "Eastern" and I can assure you that I can sing high notes, even before starting Ken's course. :) It is definitely possible.

oh wow are you indian? indians and srilankans have something similar in genetics according to our history. thankyou for the information and i would love to follow this course..
    Chris82 said:

I take it you’ve never heard of Dimash.

No, range is not restricted by region, ethnicity or anything else like that. A persons range is biological and unique to them.

That said most singers haven’t learned how to use their full range yet so with practice they can grow their range to their biological maximum but won’t be able to increase it further once they have hit the limits of their biology.

If it really is true that most eastern music tends to be lower ranges then that is more likely a result of cultural influence not biological limitations. Maybe people in the east just prefer music to be in those ranges?

biologically means genetics rights??
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi mates,

I want to add that gender also plays a role. The larynx, or voice box, is a hormone-dependent organ. In teenage boys, increased testosterone production causes the vocal folds (vocal chords) to thicken, lengthen and mature. The cartilage of the larynx grows, further influencing the tone of voice.

Doc