Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi From the UK - Older singer-New Student

Although I have been singing for many years I am really enjoying learning how wrong I have been doing it all this time but anyway. As I progress and I feel my voice/positions changing I have noticed that the top of my register is now the same in both belt/mix and head voice. Am I doing something wrong? This seems a bit strange to me, it is around a G#5 and just has a different colour/timbre depending on where it comes from and the song - for example, "Dream On" is very powerful whereas "Since you've Been Gone" is must lighter?? but the head voice won't go any higher at the moment, I may just be overthinking it but it doesn't sit right with me?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome to the forum mate! Do you own the course? If I understand your question, you're saying now that the top of your range is the same for both chest and head voice but you are still able sing to both registers at G#5?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Steve, @Steve1984

also a warm Welcome from Germany. Nice to have you with us.

For me the upper limit of my voice was the same for head and chest at the beginning. Since I am doing the course the range for both registers are growing. Before I started KTVA the highest note I could sing (chest and head) was a F#4. Meanwhile, after doing the course for 1.5 years, I can reach a A5 in head voice and a Eb5 in chest regularly on good days. On bad days I am 2 semitones lower.

Doc
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Steve1984

Welcome to the KTVA forum from the UK look forward to your demos.

Vocality :)
  • Steve1984Steve1984 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Wigs said:

Welcome to the forum mate! Do you own the course? If I understand your question, you're saying now that the top of your range is the same for both chest and head voice but you are still able sing to both registers at G#5?

Hi Yes, I can get in both registers, and I do own the course..... From your responses, it sounds like this is normal but this may change as I progress?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest

Grab your student access, you're missing the best part of the forum!

I had heaps of trouble with my chest in the beginning, my head voice was way higher. Everyone is different and your situation isn't unusual. Once you have your access, check out other students scales in new student demos or ah vowel and upload your own. Then we can get to the nitty gritty to see how we can help. 🙂