Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Classical/opera trained full lyric soprano fach

seasonedwthsaltseasonedwthsalt Member Posts: 2
edited February 2020 in SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Hi! I was classically trained as a music Ed major in college 25 years ago. Years of depression and thyroid issues caused me to not sing much. I lost quite a bit of range. Anyway, I like opera, but I'd rather sing other Styles. It just seems no matter how I try I can't get past the opera sound. I was taught to vibrato every note the entire note. Anything would damage my vocal chords over time. So here are two songs. One is done twice. Once with a lot of head voice. The other is done with all chest. Which sounds better? The other sing, find you waiting, I like a lot. It's pretty easy to sing but I feel strange singing higher nites with a chesty feel. Does it sound okay? Thanks for input! By the way, I'm 43 years old now.

Here's my link the the videos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FzX89DxETGBM5eT6A

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Wendy, @seasonedwthsalt

a warm Welcome to the Forums. My name is Marco, I am 49 years old and started singing 19 months ago.

I listened to your demos and I really like them. You have a nice, warm tone to your voice. I like the harmonic richness. I don't think it sounds too operatic. You could brighten the sound here and there but to my opinion you sound good in general.

"Head voice": by definition, when we use the term head voice at KTVA we mean a reinforced falsetto. A bright, timbral strong re-inforced falsetto that matches the tonal quality of you chest voice. This definition might differ from what you have learned in college.

Keep on.

Doc
  • seasonedwthsaltseasonedwthsalt Member Posts: 2

Hi Wendy, @seasonedwthsalt

a warm Welcome to the Forums. My name is Marco, I am 49 years old and started singing 19 months ago.

I listened to your demos and I really like them. You have a nice, warm tone to your voice. I like the harmonic richness. I don't think it sounds too operatic. You could brighten the sound here and there but to my opinion you sound good in general.

"Head voice": by definition, when we use the term head voice at KTVA we mean a reinforced falsetto. A bright, timbral strong re-inforced falsetto that matches the tonal quality of you chest voice. This definition might differ from what you have learned in college.

Keep on.

Doc

Thank you so much! I recorded it Hy setting my cell phone right in front of my not so great computer speakers. So perhaps the sound would be better having a good quality mic. Perhaps I could record next time I practice at church.

Ok, yes head voice, the way I learned it, is a big switch from chest feeling to very forward nose placed air movement. Singing higher chest used to make my throat hurt, but since I've been watching Ken's videos it has helped a lot! I don't feel scared to sing like that anymore. So I'll keep practicing. Thanks for your kind words!