Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Does any showing of throat veins always mean that you are straining?

Been singing alot, and my biggest concern right now is that i am straining, or maybe its just my style idk.
When i sing with my guitar though, i noticed i can see my throat veins slightly sometimes

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    does it feel like you are straining? with the guitar, it probably is normal that you won't be as relaxed as without it. to me this sounds ok
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Its always possible depending on what is causing the vein to pop. I see it on myself sometimes as well, usually when belting in my upper register or holding a long note. As long as im constantly monitoring my tension and feel fine the next day im not too worried. Have a close look at Ken when he sings, I see it with him as well.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hello mates,

being a medical doctor I have an explanation for the veins popping out even if you are NOT straining. We learn to compress a lot of air in the lungs. And if we do so the pressure in the thorax get higher than the pressure in our veins (which is very low). The consequence is that the blood is dammed in the veins. You can see them popping out.

You can provoke that very easily: take a deep breath and hold the breath without singing. You will see your veins popping out (especially males) after a few seconds.

Doc
  • Options
    DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Check out my veins for a measure up. Throat are cleared by 3 doctors now :smiley:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yN57hLboDUTR6UhoLx--iIqVMccVW9-_/view