Bitch (Meredith Brooks cover) by coffeecrank

coffeecrankcoffeecrank 2.0 PRO Posts: 763

Comments

• Options
    NickWNickW 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
    Sounds great!! Well done :)
  • Options
    LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    Oh I haven't heard this song in ages! Great job! You nailed the attitude and your technique, as always, is solid.
  • Options
    MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Never heard this song before, but you sounded great! Good job.

The song chords reminded me of teenage wasteland by The Who, and the lyrics were reminiscent of Sex by Berlin
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    We used to do do that song and up to the oohs you did it as good as our singer did. The only thing she may have had was the live energy you get doing it four nights a week on the road so A++ for that. She had a little help with the ooh oohs your not getting to help keep her in place cuz we had three part harmony on it so it helped keep her in line and I bet if you had that helping you out you woulda nailed it. Great job great tone great feel over all.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Some really good contiguous phrasing through the verses! I was still wanting more of a punch in the face feeling for the verse 😜
  • Options
    shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Bitchcraft!!!! ehm... Witchcraft :lol:

The tone of your voice is perfect for this song.
  • Options
    Hmm.. its been years when I last heard (and sang) this one. Loved it because of its lyrics... how did you know? :lol:
    Nice idea... why not :) Or maybe we can do a duet <3

But its sounds totally differnt with my voice. Mine is not so full and solid like yours.
  • Options
    Thank you <3
    Yes... but I guess (and hope) it won´t totally change the tone of my voice. Otherwise we would all sound the same. Wouldn´t that be kind of boring? :smiley:
  • Options
    DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    I remember this song and you did well. Getting better and better :smile:
  • Options
    jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Nice work @coffeecrank!

Little notes that may help you. Your sound is very forward and nasal, so try what Ken suggests when bringing the sound out of the nose. Try plugging your nose on your scale exercises and then when practicing the song and you will have an easier time seeing when you are really too far forward and how you can round out your sound a bit more.

You can afford to spend some time on your vibrato as right now it's not quite natural. For example, in your verses, the last word of each line you tend to give off into your headvoice and put on a vibrato. Instead of going into headvoice, try to keep it stronger in the chest voice.

Careful not to close down too much on some of your words. For example "today won't mean a thing" instead of finishing the word "thing" on a hard I vowel and closing down on the "NG", try keeping that open and do "eh" - like "th"eh"ng" and then just barely touch on the "NG" so you are not closing off the throat. That is one example, but it happens throughout the song, so just watch for that.

"oohs" remember what Ken says about how you need to control your air even more in the headvoice. Right now it still has a "flutey" sound, so you may want to look at Glottal Compression and he talks about holding the air in the lungs like you are speaking under water. When you are in headvoice you have to be even more careful of this to achieve that bright timbre.

Anyways, great work! Keep it up!
    Jackie
  • Options
    jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    My pleasure! I totally understand lower notes can be such an issue. I had the exact same issue with lower notes for many years. I couldn't hit passed an A below middle C to save my life. After working with Ken I learned how important it was to give your lower notes the same respect and support as you do your higher notes. So don't lose that support on your way down or lessen your volume. In your scales, keep that same support throughout the entire scale. Eventually you will notice those low notes will start to come easier.

I'm now going down to D3's in my workouts!
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I thought that was a lovely cover @coffeecrank !
  • Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    @coffeecrank really good improvements to me the verses sounded better than the original, with a very slight hint of country and if I were to critique maybe lean in a hint more to get little more distortion in the choruses but brilliant cover Vol 3 is working for you really well.

• Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    @coffeecrank Yes Vol 3 is tough to get started but once you get used to it, I still have to take at least couple of short breaks.
  • Options
    maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    sounds good, great job!
  • Options
    bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    You're doing great Lana! Great old tune!