Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Develop breath management

Whats is the best exercise for develop breath management ?

exemple : appoggio, straw technique, etc... ?

Answers

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The straw is no good at developing breath management, because it physically restricts the amount of air you can blow through it, all it does is show you its possible to make your breath last longer. Breath management is also more than just making a note last really long, its also understanding when and where to take breaths in a song and how much is needed to get you through.

Have a look at Kens older videos, he has a collection of shorter ones where he talks about the diaphragm and the ah vowel. I cant remember off the top of my head what its called, but that should get you started in first understanding how to take a correct breath then go from there.
  • Options
    cowoltercowolter Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2020
    The method I use for helping expanding low range is basically a vocalized yawn. This lowers your larynx and pitch significantly. You can also try and add more "metal" in your voice, by adding more of a metallic buzz sound in your voice, you increase your contact quotient, therefore allowing you to hit lower notes.
    Also, I'd suggest trying to imitate singers like Ville Valo, Brendon Urie, or Josh Turner, whichever is more your speed.