Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Don't Stop Believin

Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I liked it. How much lower than the original is it? I think it’s a good way to present this song as just a piano and a singer. These are super minor things but the line “living just to find emotion” Before the break could use just a slight smoothing out for my taste. And the highest note on the “hold on to your dream” was a little off but I’m 100 percent sure once you start doing this song more that the high note if not both parts will automatically work themselves out. Now here’s what you’ve been waiting for.......what do you think about it? Lol. I like it. Cool presentation
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @sjonrokz4u Just had a quick listen with my guitar with me. Think the original is in E major and this version from Michael seems to be Bb major. So that's an augmented 4th.

@Michael4000 I heard some shaky pitch now and then, and also a lot of good pitch. Some longer notes were pretty stable at the end as well. Good job! Tone was also pretty good. Keep that space in the throat and bright tone. I feel as if your voice has room to go a bit higher with this song. Did you try going up a half or whole step from your current version? do you play the piano at the same time?

You will keep improving!

All the best,

Ben
  • Options
    jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
    Love your piano playing! Reminds me I need to practice more... Your voice sounded like you practiced too much and like it needed a rest for a day or so. I say that because it sounded cloudy but maybe you were going for that distortion effect? Well my voice sounds like that when I have worked it to the brink and it needs a rest. Then the next day it is clear again.
  • Options
    @jmstanle thanks for your feedback. I was not going for a distortion effect so it is helpful that you pointed out that it came across to you that way.
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Good job on a tough song! I liked it!
  • Options
    @sjonrokz4u @coffeecrank @bentk @jmstanle @Chris82 Thanks guys for your feedback. What do I think of it? I thought it was ok, but I feel like the high notes near the end ("night" and "oh-oh-oooooooh") come across as shouty and over-singing. Do you all agree with this?

It is 6 half steps below the original. I could probably try to push it up to a slightly higher key.

I did not sing and play at the same time. I laid down the piano track and then just tried to really focus on my vocals.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Dear Michael,

I am so sorry that you didn't hear from me for several weeks. I read your Facebook comments. Please forgive me, this damn corona pandemic needed all my attention.

I like you version of this song a lot. I can hear a lot of great technique. On the other hand I miss something. I miss that special sound that Steve uses when hitting the high notes in the verses (i.e. on "livin' in A LONELY world"). I noticed that you pitched the song down 6 semitones. To my opinion this takes away some of the energy. Personally I would try to sing the song closer to the original key.

Besides this, great cover.

Marco
  • Options
    @doc_ramadani so glad to see you back on here! Thanks for your feedback.

@coffeecrank It's not a matter of breath support for me on this, I think I just need to dial it back in volume and maybe put a higher percentage of head voice in the mix than chest...just go a little lighter on it. Also maybe back off from the mic (physical proximity)
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    @doc_ramadani we’ve missed you over here. Hope all is well