Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Anyone take a listen to my recording?

I didn't put the name of the song in the title because it's from a children's television show from the early 2000s and I wasn't sure if anyone would know it. It's a fake pop song called "My Shiny Teeth and Me" from the show The fairly Odd Parents, sung by Chris Kirkpatrick of N'Sync. I'm no pop singer (theater, choral and barbershop is my background), but I love the song and am making a music video to start off a new YT channel.

Anyways, I just wanted some opinions on mixing the vocal track (which frequencies to boost and such) and also how the song sounds with a more rounded style rather than a lighter, brighter pop style that the original is known for. There is a noticeable echo and it is not reverb, but simply the acoustics of the room I was recording in. I'll have to get something for the walls to subdue that eventually, but for now this is what I have (also a vocal mistake with a missed word, but the music covers it up somewhat and a migraine prevented me from further takes, at least for today):

Complete track with backing music:

Isolated vocal track:

Comments

• Options
    FurryMurryFurryMurry 2.0 PRO Posts: 56
    Hi @Goggalor1990 ! I never watched Fairly OddParents growing up, because we didn't have cable television in my family. I still don't have cable television now! LOL!

I can really feel the energy in your voice! With regards to mixing, I would suggest lowering the overall volume of the backing instrumentals a bit. Not sure what software you're using to mix the vocal and the backing; the vocal in the
    solo version is clearly different from the vocal in the mix version. When you take the vocal track, I would suggest raising the highest frequencies a little bit, completely cutting the bottom down to zero, and (maybe?) decrease the low-mid frequencies a tiny bit. Then put it on the backing track. This will help to "brighten" that vocal and at the same time make it stand out a bit from the background. Using a compressor on the vocal track will also help with that. Also, it wouldn't hurt to boost the bass frequencies a bit with the instrumental.

Hope this helps! Thanks! :smile:
  • Options
    Goggalor1990Goggalor1990 Member Posts: 27
    Thank you so much for the compliment and advice! I am fairly confident in my actual vocal abilities I've been singing for 15 years now), but I've never actually mixed and produced a track before. I'll go back tomorrow when my headache decides to subside and try those settings 😊
  • Options
    FurryMurryFurryMurry 2.0 PRO Posts: 56
    @Goggalor1990 That's cool! 15 years, that's a long time! When I first started mixing, the YouTube channel RecordingRevolution really helped. He has two series: "How To Record A Song From Scratch", and "How To Mix A Song From Scratch". I would highly recommend watching those!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHf57RoC4s&list=PLVwn0Z_ucW6GnO3-YLdCEW1FYhahRUseV
  • Options
    I'll check it out! Can't wait to get started
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I know the cartoon but never watched it. I would recommend spending time making sure you really nail the pitch and timing of the song. You do a good job of hitting the correct notes when its a long one, but during the quick phrasing it starts to drop a bit. I think I would have to spend alot of time getting to know this song, its trickier that it first sounds. Im only getting into mixing my self so cant really add much to it.

Nice work!
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback! Listening to it again, I can hear where I was a bit off in pitch. It really is a deceptively difficult song! Very fast paced and the ques are sometimes difficulty to read I feel like. I'll go back and try to really study the song.