Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Microphone that deals with feedback

I´m starting practice ocassionaly with a band, my main problema is that either there are feedback issues or I can´t make myself heard over the other instruments. Problaby the problem comes from the Singer, because I´m not able to sing loud - yet :) - but we have tried different strategies such as eq and monitor position. We can´t lower the volume of the rest of instruments either if we want to match the level of the drums.
Have to say that the mics we used were absolutelly crap, and recently we tried with a shure SM58 that was a great improvement, but not enougth.
So I am decided to invest in a quality mic that helps with feedback issues, the SM58 was an improvement, but I have read wonders about AUDIX OM7, sennheiser MD431 and heil audio. ¿Any advice or experience? ¿maybe other options? Those ain´t cheap so any advice is more than wellcome.
Thanks !!! :)

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi, you might want to look into microphones with a super- or hypercardioid polar pattern. they are more "focused" in which directions they pick up sound from, and it is therefore easier to point them away from the speakers.

• bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    @Esciron the SM58 should work well for live performances. The band that I set up for had a regular show every week for many years and that's all they used. It was a noisy environment with monitor speakers placed on the floor in front of the vocalists, but well below and behind the mics. The bass speakers were set up pretty much at the back of the stage, facing the mics, and the mics were EQed at the board to cut below about 45 Hz, with a slight boost to the mids. The guitar, piano and vocals were routed though the board, with vocals mixed and sent to PA speakers mounted on a soffit, above the stage, facing the audience, so they would not really interact with the vocal mics at all. Oh...and the drum mics were mixed in a smaller board, amped and sent to speakers mounted above and behind the drummer, at the very back of the stage, but facing the audience. This setup only resulted in feed back when a vocalist would hand-hold a mic and drop it too low in front of one of their own monitor speakers.
    It can be tricky getting everything set up so that the sound is what you're looking for and the noise and feedback are minimized. It's a lot easier, once you get everything placed right and your gains all set up, if you don't have to continually change venues!
    My experience has been that all mics will feed back, and @Klaus_T is right...the super hypercardoid mics are easier to "aim,' ….but....those narrow polar patterns can be challenging for a vocalist that likes to move around a lot. You get off the center of the pattern and you will disappear to your listeners.
    Covid-19 aside...an SM58 works great if the vocalist keeps it so his/her lips are very nearly touching the screen at all times, unless they're belting.
  • Try2xlTry2xl 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    SM58 is a very mediocre mic. If you want great sound and the best feedback rejection the Audix OM7 is in my opinion, the best. There are disadvantages though. You need to sing close to and in front of the mic. You must also have either a good mixer with a good mic preamp or use a preamp. I use a TC Helicon VoiceLive with mine and it works great. I have SM58's, SM 57's an OM5, OM7 and many other mics. I use the OM 7 and let other band members use the others. I play lead guitar and sing in a 5 piece rock cover band and in a Trio currently. If you want a low noise, low bleed, low feedback vocal mic I prefer the OM7. Sennheiser 945 is okay too but I prefer the Audix.
  • EscironEsciron 2.0 PRO Posts: 28
    Thanks for your replies!! Probably I Will decide for the audix, since I have the chance to buy it second hand for a very resonable price, and if not convinced probably go back to SM58. In any case it´s clear that sining in a band is totally different than doing it at home. :#
  • CortezWongCortezWong Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2023
    Band practice can be a tricky balance, especially with vocals. Glad the SM58 helped—it's a solid choice. For tackling feedback and standing out, the AUDIX OM7, Sennheiser MD431, and Heil Audio are top-notch picks. They're designed to handle high SPLs (sound pressure levels) and minimize feedback, perfect for live settings. Consider checking asmrmicrophones.com too—they might have alternatives that suit your needs and budget.