Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

For The First Time - Darius Rucker

Hey There Dudes and Divas! I’ve had a lot of people tell me that I sound like Darius when I’m singing his Hootie songs but I figured I’d give some of his country stuff a go too.

I fell in love with this song when I heard it and just had to practice it. Been going at this song for about a week now and while I feel I’ve made a lot of progress getting it to sound okay it still doesn’t sound good to me. Maybe this is just a case of me hating my own voice but I really don’t like my tone/timbre in this.

How does it sound to you guys? Any tips?

https://www.smule.com/p/2005406562_3594566994

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Nice job man!! I’ve heard that song a ton of times never knew who did it
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Never heard this song. You can try graze the consonants more but honestly they dont sound like they are affecting your singing too much. Its probably so ingrained in you now but slowing down that vibrato would be a better fit, and have a play around with maintaining your mask but getting the sound driven from further back and really revving your engine in your mid and lower register where you can make use of more resonance. Overall though its still a very solid cover!
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Thanks guys! @wigs Yeah, my dang vibrato has been fustrating, it's just naturally fast. I'm really starting to think I'm using the wrong vibrato, If i'm doing scales I can get my vibrato to come out natural and slow but in songs I tend to default to old habits and use the fast one (that I believe is created by moving my diaphram rapidly up and down, at least that feels like where it's coming from)
  • Options
    vidextremevidextreme Member Posts: 6
    That was pretty good!
  • Options
    Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Very nice cover, Chris. Your tone sounded good, and you captured the essence of the song quite well. I enjoyed listening to it. Well done!
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @vidextreme @Kevin123 @sjonrokz4u Thanks guys I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@Wigs I've made some progress on my vibrato actually! I know for sure when I do it fast like that is not a natural vibrato because I've hit that natural one before and it's much slower for sure and just "feels" right. It's hard to get back to but I've been getting better at it.