Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Body Workout

I like working out(body workout)..
we all know that when we sing,tension usually happen around chest,shoulder,neck and throat..

If i strengthen my chest and my shoulder does it help remove a tension when we sing?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it depends on how you train. heavy bench presses will probably rather tense you up. i would suggest body weight training, and also to implement a stretching routine. i can highly recommend Mike Chang's YT channel, you could try the 35 min morning flow routine (or the 1 hour routine, would be even better if you have the time/energy). i find this to be a good way of doing a wholesome workout, with a focus on relaxing afterwards
  • wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96
    edited July 2020
    It can go both ways in my opinion:
    1. You develop more mind-muscle connection and You will be able feel more the muscle, which will then lead to You being able to keep it more relaxed. But since You already workout, You should have some level of it, and decide if that may be helpful.
    2. Working out is generally tensing all of the muscles all the time (neck is tensing a lot as well - not on purpose) - so it's not a good habbit for our body to remember.

I belive the more muscular you are the harder it may be for you to keep it all relaxed, unless You constantly stretch, roll etc. Also the more muscular you are, the muscles you develop pull with stronger force - that's why you always want to train antagonistic muscles equally so when you are relaxed you have a naturally correct posture - if it's not then You may be constantly tensing in some areas, which in the end is bad for singing.

That's just my personal take on it ;p
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    @Klaus_T alright..thanks for the suggestion..i will make sure to check out the channel..
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    @wojtek i see..so is it safe to say that we as a singer should working out just to get FIT rather than to get MUSCULAR or BULKING?
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    That’s a good summary. Yes like Ken says a runners body. Think about it. How many big bulky singers do you see. I’m sure there’s some but not many
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    yesterday i read that swimming is the best exercise for singers. it was on a page about classical singing. they made a point that the body needs to be fit, as it is seen as an instrument in itself. good food and sleep habits were stressed as well
  • wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96

@wojtek i see..so is it safe to say that we as a singer should working out just to get FIT rather than to get MUSCULAR or BULKING?

I wouldn't worry about getting too muscular. Building muscless naturally is a slow process and I don't think there will be a point at which you might say "I think I am too big :D (being relatively lean).
    Regardless of how focused you are on improving your singing I would train the body the same way.
    If you just don't bulk over 15-17% bf, You don't have anything to worry about ;p