Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Support problem. Can anyone help?

I've been practicing Lah scales for quite a while. The problem is that I can't get the diaphragmatic support concept right. I take a breath from the abdomen, but don't feel the strength at all. And after a while it start to hurt in my throat.

Should I take a quick snap of air? Should I love my belly forward?

From time to time I feel the strength, but rarely. I want to be able to fully control it.

Comments

• Aleksooo7Aleksooo7 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 133
    I mean lean and push the belly forward*
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited July 2020
    in the course, we learn how to get the support mechanism working properly. it takes a long time (for me anyway). i am actually still not 100% sure if i have nailed it. neither is it consistent, it is better on some days and then not so great another time

regarding your example: you need to pay attention to the LAH brightness/ping that Ken emphasizes all the time.

you sound very covered. you are using a lot of air. aim for more ping.
    the ping is a signal that you are going in the right direction, so look for it.

read as much as you can about it, and watch all of Ken's stuff.

There is lots of information in the student's section of this forum, did you buy the course?

if not, on my profile page is a routine i had before i started the course. it is based on the free YT videos from Ken's channel

That's the point. It's really hard to make the support stable. In all Ken's videos his voice is very strongly supported (even his speaking voice).
    I know there's no magic pill, and I'm ready to work hard every day. But there must some more tricks he's using))))

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy the course(
    Anyway, thnx for the routine, I find it very useful having it all collected in one place.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    the "trick" is to practice until it works. the problem is, it is not easy to put into words. i am sure if Ken would know how to explain it any better than he currently does, he would tell us, at least in the paid course ;)

you can already get results from the free material, if done (near) daily. get into it as much as you can. then it will come with time.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    It’s one of those things that with work and discipline and attention to what your doing it will eventually start working and as far as Ken well he’s been singing and touring for 30 years soooooo.......
    edited July 2020
    I in no way blame Ken for hiding information))) he's probably the only guy on YouTube with legit information and his voice is really something you would want to look up to.

Tell me more about the course. I'm saving up right now.
    Is it worth buying?
    I know that the info he gives is very hard to come by and it really works.
    But how far can you possibly get without Ken supervising you? He's not listening to you doing your scales, no feedback about your tone and pitch(( you got information, but applying it is an entirely different issue.

edited July 2020
    I'd really appreciate your honest opinion about it.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    A lot depends on you. Your self motivation, discipline, ability to self evaluate, ability to take advice from forum members and apply it, ability to identify short comings and positives. No it’s not like having real time feedback but you post scales and forum members will evaluate it and try to help you. I’ve found it a great help so far but honestly here’s the bottom line. You spend $300. Private coaching is 50$ per hour. That’s the equivalent of six one hour sessions
    Yeah, sure. That's not even a question. There are lots of vocal coaches out there, but none of them sound the way I would want to sound) 300 bucks is an extremely cheap price for building a good foundation.

I'm based in Ukraine. It's far away from the US. There are no people here who can really teach you the basics of good singing,
    especially good singing in English.
    I teach English, so it kind of gives an advantage to go and find the best of the best))
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The Pro packs are the best option in my opinion, the extra money you pay means you get to watch Ken have 1 on one sessions with students and hear their mistakes and make corrections. You are basically watching Lessons for free. Using the forum and learning to be objective and critical without ego will get you a long way without any 1 on 1 lessons. There is also alot more activity in the student area and you get to hear other people posting scales as well.
    edited July 2020
    Thanks. I hope I'll save up enough to buy it. In the meantime, I'm trying to work on Lah scales, open throat and support.
    By the way, I've really started to feel when things are going wrong. It's either there's no strength in the sound or it hurts in the throat, or both. So I'm learning to be objective not to get carried away. Though some results are already visible ( the voice is going stronger and bigger and warmer).