Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Freedom (George Michael cover)

Comments

• Options
    jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
    @Michael4000 - Wow! That sounded really complex with your having to play and sing and all the complicated rhythms and what not and you stayed on top of it for sure! You sounded really good too. And I also like that I could understand every word. You have great articulation of speech. It was a very interesting song choice and you certainly made it your own.
  • Options
    Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    @jmstanle Thanks for your feedback! I did not play and sing that at the same time, that is the next step. Yes, this one is very complex and syncopated so that will be a challenge for sure.
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @michael You have a wonderful voice and have great control of it! I loved this!
  • Options
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    Hi, Michael.

@Michael4000

This sounds really good on a technical level. I think you could put some more "oomph" into it and wear your feelings about the song on your sleeve a little more, take a few more risks...

It's hard to take an artist like George Michael, who is so revered, and then have people feel like you didn't surpass him or possibly even come close to the feeling that he evoked on the original version. It's easy for people to dismiss you as irrelevant because "you're not him". But you're You, Michael, and you are sounding good. I just want to sense the REAL you allowing yourself to just GO FOR IT on the songs you choose.

In part, your demos have a little bit of bareness to them from the lack of instrumentation, drums, bass, background vocals, etc, so when people listen to them, they are comparing a million-dollar production to something you did on a laptop perhaps. No $150,000 console to put together a lavish mix and then send off to the mastering lab for further processing.

You may also be holding back a bit to make sure you are doing everything technically in the correct way. That's all very important, except for the holding back part.

I like what is happening with your voice. I hear you in there. You have got the technical aspects to a high level. NOW is when you can apply all of that and begin to let go with your voice some more on the emotional side of things. Get a little bit raw when you want to. You have built a solid foundation. Now you can begin to take comfort in that strong foundation and start really singing from your heart, more and more.

That's a great place to be.

I do exactly what you do. Play piano and sing along. It simplifies really getting down to the execution of the notes, the melody, the nuances and melismatic runs. And there I find the freedom to really let go and put more oomph into characterizing the way I want to present the song vocally. But without drum tracks, bass, guitars, etc, it would sound barren to the casual observer. That being the case, it's an excellent laboratory to work out how I want to express myself within the song. That is where I want to lean into the interpretation and let some of my own soul into the sound of my voice. With Ken's program, I have crossed that threshold, and more, and really enjoy my private time of just me and my piano... and I'm a drummer. Go figure.

I do also enjoy playing drums and singing at the same time. It frees my soul. I'm in the moment. There's nothing on Earth quite like it. And I can do the same thing with a guitar or acapella.

It's just getting to that point of confidence with the techniques that allow you to use the techniques as a means to the end of singing your heart out, and letting your light shine.

I see and hear your light. I just think you need to turn up the rheostat (when appropriate) and also bring it down (when appropriate) and let that voice sing out, and know that you're on the right track.

Bob
  • Options
    @highmtn Thank you Bob for taking the time to write this. It is very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Michael
  • Options
    Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Nice cover, Michael. A tricky song to play and sing at the same time, but you pulled it off.