Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

recovery and cold water after show

Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
hi again
i have a question hopefully when answered helps a lot of people also
ive heard a lot of people say its good to drink cold water after a show but not talk at all until next day,
i dont do it cause i dont wanna take risks hehe
but ive heard it a lot, ive even heard opera singers do it, but wanted to make sure
other doubt i have is if i have to sing for several nights, and i end up tierd or a little hoarse, what is better? to talk as everyday and then recover before the show? or not talk at all and then right before the show do a warm up and recover?
by the way Ken i apologize for posting this in to your facebook wall, it must be annoying to get questions all the time in every social network every second of the day

Gaston

Comments

• Options
    Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    also another question when ken talks about coming back to a clean sound does he mean only clean or  he also means NOT glottal compression at all? my confusion is that could be NOT distorted but compressed
    thanks again!
  • Options
    sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278

Hey Gaston,

Ken always recommends room temperature water at anytime.  As far as being hoarse after a show,  you can keep talking to a minimum as it can wear down the voice.  Really make sure to support your voice as you speak if you need to. A lot of time we tend to speak at a lower range and with very little support.  I find my own voice fatigues more after speaking with people then singing.  Ive had to work on cutting back the air is use in speaking and raising my timbre slightly to maintain my voice. Always warm up the next day lightly, not breathy just using less sound pressure and volume. Practise the exercises very clean, as clean as you can especially after distorting the voice.  You may hear a little more air passing through the cords at first, but as you warm up you will hear the tone clear up.  Drink lots of water as well even more when you are singing.  Hope this answers your question.

• Options
    thanks patrick, this is something i am strugling with, i do get tired pretty quick on my set im definitely gonna upload the way ive been doing the excersises cause, even though ive done the program  for quite sometime and i can do level 3 without problems, maybe there is some wrong habit i havent realized i do...ive been trying to check all the vowel modifications applied on songs and really trying not to pronounce and not move the jaw, i even sang in a pool just to make shure i was doing my compression right hahahaha, ill try to post it tomorrow
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Make sure you don't get the microphone too wet!

;^)

Bob