Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Can someone explain, help me remember?

Can someone explain, help me remember?

Effing the ineffable

I don’t know the terminology of most of the stuff, I didn’t know what to call it then I don’t know what to call it now.

I did a lot of experimenting with singing in range early in my 20s and through my 30s trying to figure out how to seeing all the high notes without any kind of instruction just trying to emulate all the high singers like Ian Gillan

Along time ago I taught myself how to push through the passagio by pushing really Hard with my yell voice, bent over about 45° and really pushed with a lot of pressure and somehow it opened up where I didn’t have an Apparent passagio at all.

Now at first I had to keep doing it that way, and it was really uncomfortable, High tension, and I got pretty horse pretty quickly, but eventually learned to relax and back off, it was kind of an open throated full chested thing, I haven’t been able to figure out how to do it again since I stopped doing that along time ago.

So I did it Bassakwards from traditional

Have you ever heard of such a thing? maybe it’s similar to the whistle voice I don’t know, but I could hit g6 fully supported open throated, as a baritone

If I could remember that certain lock pick muscle memory combination I would be so happy

Comments

• Options
    DrHypnoDrHypno Member Posts: 13
    A few more details: wasn’t exactly head voice per se (I think) because I didn’t know anything about keeping my larnix low, and couldn’t sing most Steve Perry.

It was like a yelling chest falsetto ?
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it sounds like something that could be bad for your voice. yelling and pushing really hard to get through the passagio, being hoarse quickly, without having built the muscles and the technique, it sounds like a bad combination to me.

we don't know what it sounded like and how much control you had (maybe it was all fine and good technique), but i would not try to emulate it. i would rather build the voice slowly to the point where you can do this without any stunts.

• Options
    Thanks Klaus

I should’ve emphasized in the post that it was only true at first, and eventually I could do it completely relaxed and it was trivial to do I sang that way for years and years afterwards.

It just sort of popped in while I was trying to figure out how to sing child in time, it just started working
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    alright. just remember to listen to your voice for when it needs a break, and avoid strain and tension
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Klaus_T said:

alright. just remember to listen to your voice for when it needs a break, and avoid strain and tension

Thanks for the input Klaus, much appreciated.

I would call it a gimmick, or vocal hack.
    I’m lucky I didn’t wreck my voice, I didn’t but it would’ve been smarter to do it a different way. I’m lucky I didn’t wreck my voice, I didn’t but it would’ve been smarter to do it a different way
    I am (hopefully) working my way back up to where I was the correct way now.

I had a reputation at one time for hitting very impressive piercing high notes

Two questions remain:

What is that voice called?
    that open throated high air pressure ultra high, (higher than even BeeGees falsetto) that can only be achieved with yelling voice, but can only be done with limited vowel placement. Eh/Ah

Child In Time, or the finale’note of GreenManalishi on the unleashed in the East album (But less pinched) are close examples.

And, has anyone heard of this Vocal hack or gimmick (bend forward and push with all your strength) ?

Plan: Go as far as I can with the lessons that I have, and then book a few live coaching sessions.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Klaus_T said:

it sounds like something that could be bad for your voice. yelling and pushing really hard to get through the passagio, being hoarse quickly, without having built the muscles and the technique, it sounds like a bad combination to me.

we don't know what it sounded like and how much control you had (maybe it was all fine and good technique), but i would not try to emulate it. i would rather build the voice slowly to the point where you can do this without any stunts.

The gimmic
    I finally found a demonstration of what I used to be able to do, but I discovered through trial and error, for some reason I can’t find any vocal coaches on earth that can describe or assist me to get back to this technique again.

Interestingly, He also discovered it by studying Ian Gillan

At 4:15 https://youtu.be/NHtYxPT6oNk

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ahhh, well I've seen Ken do this many times in various videos without needing to bend over. He stands pretty straight and tall and belts out those notes seemingly effortlessly. To me this is a bit more lack of technique and strength. Pushing out air is not what we learn, it's about holding it back. He talks about pushing the diaphragm, yes we learn that, but push it down, not squeeze it, to hold back our breath and compress at the glottis as well. Aim to land the high note, not push up to it. This technique introduces all kinds of tension which isn't sustainable in the long run. I can't hit that note my self like that, nor go much above an F5. Work on growing your support properly to sing like that if you are looking for long term health.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Wigs said:

Ahhh, well I've seen Ken do this many times in various videos without needing to bend over. He stands pretty straight and tall and belts out those notes seemingly effortlessly. To me this is a bit more lack of technique and strength. Pushing out air is not what we learn, it's about holding it back. He talks about pushing the diaphragm, yes we learn that, but push it down, not squeeze it, to hold back our breath and compress at the glottis as well. Aim to land the high note, not push up to it. This technique introduces all kinds of tension which isn't sustainable in the long run. I can't hit that note my self like that, nor go much above an F5. Work on growing your support properly to sing like that if you are looking for long term health.

Thanks Wigs, appreciate the comment.

Ken has superpowers.

And Yea, when I first discovered how to do that, it was just like he did it, high tension, sometimes I saw stars.

But, once I had that air path opened, I learned to do as you said, effortlessly do the same thing, relaxed.

I learned, as mentioned earlier, to get to supported yell voice F6 +. bass-awkwards, I jumped a full octave instantly.

I’m at F5 now on a good day.... (F2 to F5) it looks like a long road to F6 without that gimmick I once knew.

My goal is supported F6 by next summer

Ho hum, no one seems to know how that gimmick worked.

Cash for anyone to successfully teach me exactly how to do this again