Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Blues Vocals "Trick", What's it called?

Quick question ( I'm a drummer that does background vocals, not actually a singer) What's it called when you do that rumbling kind of "Louis Armstrong" sound in the middle of a lyric? (I've only ever heard blues singers use it) Example: Badlands "Rumblin' Train" 2nd verse the lyric "I keep on plain' those hard on games, but I've got more in my head" he transitions from his smooth "normal" tone to a bluesy "Louis Armstrong" kind of rumble (Whenever I try it , it feels much higher in my throat than anything else,) Are there any discussions/vids that cover this? and, what's it called? (It makes it hard to look up when I have absolutely no name for this technique)


  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Can you include a link to the vid and a time stamp so we can check it out?
  • Options
    Shanetune1Shanetune1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2020
    Right about the 2:00 mark. It's not the best example ever, but as I mentioned, it's hard to "look up" when I've got no name for the technique in question. Blues singers have been doing it as long as there have been blues singers. Closest I've come is "Blues Growling" , seems a little touchy though, doing it "wrong" it would seem one could definitely cause temporary damage to the vocal chords.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    To me that's just a type of distortion you can use. Its true if you have improper technique then you'll blow out your cords. The trick is to actually minimise your air use and use good support.
  • Options
    PlavalagunaPlavalaguna Member Posts: 4
    It’s distortion, but you can find it by playing around with vocal fry and rasp. Just make sure you have a solid foundation first or your singing career will be over before it starts due to vocal food damage.
Sign In or Register to comment.