Home Vocal Health and Wellness

When I sing high it feels/sound like the sound is resonating in my inner ear. How to prevent this?

YelgathYelgath Pro Posts: 13
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hey guys, I just got the program after wasting a few months with SLS. I'm a guitarist and I've never sung at all prior to a few months ago when I bought the SLS program. The most significant obstacle I have encountered is that whenever I sing high (and by high I mean maybe the top third of my range), it sometimes feels like the inside of my ears open or something and the sound of my voice is resonating inside my ear. It's incredibly annoying and when it happens, I can't accurately hear myself. I basically have to stop whenever it happens. It doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough that it's a significant issue. I think the best way to describe it to compare it to what happens to your hearing when you yawn. If you've ever yawned and while yawning made the typical yawn sound, you might notice how the sound resonates differently. That's essentially what happens to me often whenever I sing high. Is this a common issue, and if it is, what am I doing wrong? 

Best Answer

Answers

• YelgathYelgath Pro Posts: 13
    I appreciate the answer. After doing a bit more research on this, I've identified what's happening to me as "autophony" due to the opening of my Eustachian tubes. I'll have a doctor check into it this summer, but I think it's more likely to be a bad habit in my technique that I have yet to identify and correct.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Do have a physician check into it.  Your physician can let you know whether there are any things you need to be careful of, and lay your mind to rest about what is not a problem.

Bob

• KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Please do update on this if you have any news! I too have this issue when I sing really high but when I have enough support, this happens and the sound seems to be fine. It's not a bad feeling but only happens to my right ear and when I'm high above the High C.. Probably D5 ~ E5?
  • YelgathYelgath Pro Posts: 13
    I said I'd post an update on this, and my update is that I have not gone to a doctor for the autophony. The reason is that since I've started up the KTVA program, none of the exercises have caused it to occur so I'm attributing it to improper technique. Probably too much muscular tension that was messing with the Eustachian tubes. There's a chance I'll take a trip to the doctor anyway for a normal check up in the next few weeks, and if so I'll go ahead and ask about it to provide you guys with a further update.
  • bluesbirdbluesbird Pro Posts: 59
    edited June 2013
    Hey @alexander2023, this is George. I'm a pharmacist in profession, and I've had the same problem in the past. I don't think it's due to wrong technique from you, but you should definitely check your nose and sinuses. Bob's  explanation is right on the spot here and I'm really impressed by it!! Just wanted to add this: Check yourself for allergies and check your nasal epithelium. If it's swollen by any cause (mostly allergic reasons) this can certainly produce the pressure differencies mentioned by Bob. Maybe the epithelium of one of your nostrils has a big or bigger inflammation, and the capacity of airflow is smaller in this side of your nasal cavities and eustachian tubes. This can be solved by using some nasal sprays and pumping salt water in the nose, in order to cool down the inflammation. It also maybe a cause for you to subconsciously want to send air more aggressively when singing, and worsen the air blockage in the area. Don't worry much about it though, it's not something that can threaten your health. Hope I helped!! 
  • MojoryanMojoryan Member Posts: 1

bluesbird said:
    Hey @alexander2023, this is George. I'm a pharmacist in profession, and I've had the same problem in the past. I don't think it's due to wrong technique from you, but you should definitely check your nose and sinuses. Bob's  explanation is right on the spot here and I'm really impressed by it!! Just wanted to add this: Check yourself for allergies and check your nasal epithelium. If it's swollen by any cause (mostly allergic reasons) this can certainly produce the pressure differencies mentioned by Bob. Maybe the epithelium of one of your nostrils has a big or bigger inflammation, and the capacity of airflow is smaller in this side of your nasal cavities and eustachian tubes. This can be solved by using some nasal sprays and pumping salt water in the nose, in order to cool down the inflammation. It also maybe a cause for you to subconsciously want to send air more aggressively when singing, and worsen the air blockage in the area. Don't worry much about it though, it's not something that can threaten your health. Hope I helped!! 
    @bluesbird, I've been experiencing the same this as the original poster, as well as a fullness that makes it sound like I'm under water. It also affects my range; when I'm experiencing the underwater sensation, I can't access my upper range. It feels like the air pressurization is limiting me. I have been struggling with this for better than 18 months, and it's both infuriating and disheartening. I spoke with an ENT and he seems to believe it's eustachian tube dysfunction, and recommends tubes. I'm excited yet hesitant, as I don't want to take a chance making my problem even worse. Any and all help/thoughts/advice is welcome.

Thanks,
    Ryan 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited October 2013

@Mojoryan,

I would recommend you get a second opinion or two.  If you get concurrence, then perhaps this might be a resolution for your problem.  Tubes have become relatively commonplace these days, so the risk may be low compared to the possible benefits. 

It sounds like the detrimental effects of the problem might be repairable.  If so, moving beyond this problem could be a new beginning for you.

Bob