Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Tips for approaching high notes

I've been listening to BTS "Dynamite" and looking at their Tiny Desk (Home) Concert.
During their performance, lead singers seem to hit the high B4 with ease, even though some have more vocal strain than others.

On other songs, I'm able to hit A#4 and B4 without much vocal strain, but not in Dynamite. I find this particular sentence hard to sing and struggle with my vowels. I'm experiencing with different ways to approach the note, but I can't seem to get it right. I tried to adjust my mouth and jaw position or use more opened vowels. It sometimes help me to sing it more easily but I'm stil very inconsistent with it.

Yes, there are some processing on the vocals in their performance, I already know that. I'm looking for some tips to help me hit the B4 with less straining.

Here are all the timestamps refering to the sentence "Shining through the city with a little funk and soul":
- B4 => 0:55, 1:45, 2:02, 2:36
- C#5 => 2:53, 3:09

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I listened to a couple of time stamps, and to me it sounds like they hit the note but not in full voice. More a mix leaning towards head I reckon and some of them are quite forward in the placement through their mask. They still have bright tone and no breathiness for those notes so I think they are supporting well enough.