Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Gave rock a go again. Here's my cover of Rx (Medicate) by Theory of a Deadman

So I've been working on this one for a few days and I kept getting tongue tied. Today, I made a breakthrough and managed to get through the entire song in a single take without tying my tongue into knots. I'm pretty happy with it but I'm not sure how it sounds on the long, high pitched "medicate" passages (at 2:00 & 3:15). I tried to drag my chest up there, belt it, and add in a little distortion but I'm not sure that part sounds so good. What do you guys think? Any tips for improvements?

https://www.smule.com/recording/theory-of-a-deadman-rx-medicate/2005406562_3884387441

Comments

• Options
    MferrignoMferrigno 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
    I thought that sounded good. As for the "medicate", that sounded good too, though a couple of them, it sounded like you gave up a little after you started the AYE in medicate.

It's way better than I can do though, so you gave me something to look forward to.

Overall nice job
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited January 2021
    @Mferrigno Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I tend to hit that first medicate a bit too hard and end up backing off a bit on the 2nd-4th. I think I need to just practice it a bit more so I don’t have so much weight on the first one or if I do just hit the other ones with same weight too so it’s not as noticeable.

Also don’t sell yourself short I’ve heard your voice a bunch of times now and I’ve liked everything I’ve heard so far, you have a wonderful voice my friend!

Edit:
    I think I hear what you mean now, and misunderstood what you meant at first. I finish each line with a little more weight than the middle part of that line. I think I was doing that stylistically but I can sing it the same weight the entire line if you think it would sound better.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I can hear you trying to control yourself on those high notes you mentioned and you are very close to getting there. Try starting the word with a more open vowel and end on the ate instead of holding it like that the whole way through, I cant say in in the public area but review what the mods are for aye and try use the second one :wink: