Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Larynx Positions

Hello, I've basically been watching Ken's 28 minute video about open throat and larynx positions religiously, lol, but I still have a few questions and i need some clarity:

1) When Ken says neutral larynx, does that literally mean the larynx positions in which my larynx sits at when I am not speaking, or something different? i believe it should be a little higher than the normal resting position (of course vowels play a role in this).

2) When I sing around E4-G4 (I am tenor), my larynx will tend to raise just a little from its normal resting position. Is this alright? It doesn't hurt or strain and I am supporting loads, and when I get to reinforced falsetto and and clear head voice around C5+ I can keep the larynx quite stable and out-of-the-way. Below the E4, I can keep the larynx a little lower for open throat, but it will raise a little when I approach E4

3) In the video before the Steelheart demonstration, Ken said that he needed to lower his larynx a little to negotiate the passagio. Does this mean whenever we approach our passagio that we have to lower it, or is it just because Steelheart has that slide from G4-G5? My passagio is around D#4/ E4 and my larynx raises up from a lowered area as stated in question 2.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Hey there @dThomas

1. What Ken means by a neutral larynx is a middle position. So if you were to raise your larynx as high as it can go and then lower it as low as it could go, neutral would be centered between those two positions. The position your larynx sits in when not using your voice may or may not be in a neutral position. People develop bad habits and it's possible someone's resting larynx position might either be raised or lowered from a neutral position. So even though your larynx might default to this position out of habit doesn't mean it's actually in a naturally neutral position.

2. Your larynx is going to move up and down as you sing higher and lower notes. This is normal. People get this misconception that the larynx should never move and stays in a neutral position at all times but it's just not true. As long as your larynx isn't moving to the upper and lower extremes you should be good.

3. I believe that's just something he does for particular songs.