Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Tips on Supporting while Sitting

Hello, when it comes to practicing in private and away from family members working from home, a car seems like the best choice at the moment. I know that sitting isn't the most favorable position for singing (especially high intensity singing that I'm working on—upper chest stuff). Does anyone have any tips for supporting the voice while sitting? Do I sit on the edge of the seat, not leaned back into the seat? Sit up straight? Tilt pelvis forward/backward? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    edited March 2021
    I usually try and sit straight, as close to the edge of the seat as I can.
    That way I can benefit from grounding my feet into the floor.
    Occasionally, I can even feel with my pelvic floor if I'm supporting well or not.
    But it's very personal.
  • Options
    5050BluSam5050BluSam 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Hi I always try and sit so I can feel my pelvic bones on the seat making sure I can feel equal pressure as I have a tendency to put my weight to one side. Sitting up straight with feet on the floor. It’s about giving your body a secure but not tense posture. I have to spend a lot of time sitting and singing so I have a chair that is lower than a normal chair so I have my feet on the floor but has a low back mor of a stool really as it requires more muscle engagement to be seated properly. Soft chairs like sofas are difficult to get a good posture but car seats as long as you are sitting well and aren’t folding your diaphragm are quite good.