Homeā€ŗ GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Am i mixing or just pulling chest on these c5/b4s

I usually don't sing above anything a Ab4 unless its just for a second or in head voice, these notes don't hurt to hit, but I do put a decent amount of force into them, particularly the c5 which I found I crack on occasion lets say 35% of the time,

my question is whether or not I'm mixing or pulling chest and whether I should avoid these or try to refine them.

all input and criticism welcome thanks

bb4

https://voca.ro/13221AfKUyIC

b4/c5 plus a nice voice crack

https://voca.ro/1nep9Zgp2Up9

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I find above A4 I'm out of my pure chest voice and going above it I can still manage a very chesty mix. I suspect you are doing the same here, not full chest but your tone is so closely matched that it is blurring the lines a bit. From the short clips I'd say you're anywhere between a 70%-90% chest dominant mix. This is what we strive for when growing chest voice so well done šŸ™‚
  • tm3916tm3916 3.0 Streaming Posts: 13
    hey @Wigs thanks for the comment, thats a relief, how high do you think i can go/should go with this voice if i keep practicing it?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The idea is to go slow once you get around this point and try and work more on consolidation of what you can comfortably do, and try stretch just above it, not try to keep blasting all the way to the top. For my self I notice it's around C5-D5 I have to really start shedding the weight and I switch to a much more head dominant mix but still keep a bright tone. This is in my scales mind you and I still find it hard to use this voice in a song.

The take away is, keep your tone bright during practice using all the good technique like support and air management, pay attention to how it feels while trying to bring your voice up high safely, and the goal is not necessarily to be able to use your max while singing (eventually this might be possible with alot of sweat equity) but to be comfortable singing those other wise tough notes that you normally find in songs that are a bit below your max.