Home Off Topic

Good guitar courses?

NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
Hi Dudes and Divas!

I've been thinking about really getting into playing the guitar again, but I don't really know where to start.
Are there any online courses of decent quality? :)
The most important thing for me is that I know what I'm playing. (Which notes, scales and chords etc.)
Cuz I want to use my skills to become a better songwriter. :)
Can anyone help me? :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,170
    I’ve heard Doug marks is really good but I’ve never taken his course. I took private lessons eventually from a top rated teacher here. I would suggest starting out you get a private teach. One that’s experienced in teaching beginners until you get the dundementels down
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,511
    i am not sure where you are at guitar-skill wise, but the goals you mention seem relatively humble, and i would believe you can actually learn that stuff using free resources, and self-education.

you could have a browse here, there is lots of free content:

https://www.justinguitar.com/

i sometimes use that page for some exercise ideas.

but you can also google the 5 pentatonic shapes on guitar, or the 7 major scale shapes on guitar, and learn them, one after the other (it takes time and patience). you could also invest in a book that lays it out systematically. i have this book i can really recommend, but it is only available in german, so probably of limited use for you?

in general, play to a metronome, and start at slow tempos (50-80 depending on the exercise). to get a grip of the exercise at first, you can leave the metronome off, but they say you should use a metronome for about 50-80% of your practice time.

for chords, depending on which type of music you do, you could get away with learning a few bar chord shapes and then be set for about 90% of the most common progressions.

let me know if the self-education thing sounds like a path that could be interesting for you, and i can give you some more details on what to practice, for example a few exercises from the book i mentioned above