Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Question about the recording room in Ken's YouTube channel

Hi. Ken redirected me to this forum for a question I had. I noticed the room the singer are in is small and doesn't have sound treatment. The back wall is brick and the other walls just look plain flat. The microphone is great, the singer is great, but I would think the room would need some treatment? Or does it just not matter? In my experience this would create some resonance and comb filtering issues when singer hits certain notes at certain volume levels. From what I hear in the YT videos there are no issues. Perhaps there is a fix in post processing? Thanks!

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
  • OliviaWenyaOliviaWenya 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 61
    Just wanting to add to the above :) From personal experience, another reason you want a dead room is because it's easier to get consistant audio from multiple different locations. Proven with rona.

Matching room resonans etc. would be a lot harder than throwing up a bunch of acoustic treatment :)
  • genxmarkgenxmark Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2021
    that's great information. I did more tests with my singer and brought her to an open field (no walls = no reflections). Sounds like there is some natural harshness in her voice anyways, kinda like Adele has. It wasn't comb filtering after all. She just had some natural harshness in certain notes. Upgrading my recording chain (with tube pre-amp and tube mic now), things sound like 80% better. My room is 12 x 11 ft bedroom with carpet. I agree about the distance from the microphone. There are times the singer is about 1 foot away. Perhaps we should try closer more often. Good points about the editing, doing longer takes, and the application of reverb. I can see how that can hide it in most pop recordings.