Home Vocal Health and Wellness

do spicy food and carbonated drinks damage vocal cords permanently?

musicalmanmusicalman 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 30
what are the foods that singers should avoid ?

Answers

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited August 2021
    best to eat a balanced diet. if your body is healthy, your voice is going to be healthy. the products you mention are probably ok in moderation. spicy food (unless artificially flavoured heavily, or extreme hot sauces probably) is fine and not necessarily bad for you. carbonated drinks are apparently not so great for various health reasons but i guess ok in moderation. you still might want to avoid these just before and while singing.

a good start would be:

avoid: processed foods, artificial ingredients, empty calories, extreme fat/sugar levels

eat: fresh and ideally organic vegetables and fruit, they are a good basis for a healthy diet.

if you eat healthy most of the time, a can of soda is not gonna do much harm. what i notice though, the healthier you live, the easier it is to avoid the "bad" stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYX87Vw7ywg&ab_channel=KenTamplinVocalAcademy
  • RLVRLV Member Posts: 168
    I think most of the foods and beverages you consume that affect your voice or vocal track can cause temporary problems, but not permanent in most cases. I love milk, but I have noticed that if I drink milk prior to singing I have to deal with a lot more mucus than normal so that's one thing I really try to avoid before I know I'm going to be doing some serious singing.