Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Constant nasal trouble and mucus

I also posted this on Ken's cover of November Rain on YouTube, hoping he can address it through a video. There's a few questions here, but I think they're all related.
When I try to sing, normally high and/or powerfully (to my standards albeit) I am restricted because I constantly struggle with mucus. My nostrils are often clogged, and I ALWAYS feel phlegm in the very back of my palate. I'm hocking up loogies over and over and over again trying to clear it for a clearer tone but it never goes away and so I have to force an open sound. Most of the time it's my right nostril that's clogged, sometimes even scabbed - which means it's actually really dry. I try drinking water (I drink at least three 16oz bottles a day), sometimes with powders and even carbonated drinks which I know aren't good for you, but nothing helps! I'm blowing my nose constantly and I have always sounded very nasally, ever since I learned to speak because I speak through my nose actually. So when I sing, I run into the same problem. I don't know how to speak through my mouth. I'll give you a very honest example because I believe it may describe my situation even more: In my teen years I used to smoke marijuana, but when I tried to hit the bong - I couldn't inhale unless I plugged my nose! That tells me I would face the same inhibitions when singing. (I have not tried plugging my nose when I sing yet!) I'm only 24, so I'm hoping there's still time to change this, but I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,859

there are several videos out i believe, this is one of them
    edited October 1
    i tried to re-anact the example you gave with the bong, and that to me seems like you may have muscles cramping or being activated that keep the nose open when it would normally be closed (not sure how the technical terms are for these things). if i inhale through the mouth, the nose does not leak air in, thus the vacuum happens. for you, you need to manually close the nose. when you swim, do you also get water in your nose often? or any other scenarios where that's a thing? have you seen a logopedic therapist?
  • TeddysreadyTeddysready Member Posts: 5
    edited October 1
    I've never been a great swimmer either, honestly and it has been awhile so I don't remember. But I know I pretty much always kept my head above water. No I haven't seen. Doctor or a therapist either. I never thought they could help me to be honest. I can set up an appointment next week.
    edited October 1
    if you have problems with it, i would get it checked.