Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Negotiating consonants: confidence

Hey there! Hope you're doin' fine.

I'm currently struggling with a verse I sing in the highest register of my chest voice, partly because I fail to negotiate the consonant C.

The verse goes like this: 'Facing days to come with confidence' and the melody is A4 G4 G4 F#4 F#4 E4 G4 F#4 C#4

I'm never spot on when singing the G4 'Con' in 'Confindence': I always tend to attack it on E4 and then rise to the right G4 pitch...

Is there a way to bend that consonant so as to pitch it more easily?

Is this difficulty related to breathing: should I interrupt the flow of lyrics between 'with' and 'confidence'?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Answer ✓
    I do this sometimes as well, its not quite scooping but bending the note up to help keep the throat open. You can try going in the reverse direction. Dont scoop or bend the note but hit it dead on without the "c". Go straight into the vowel itself. if you can keep your throat open enough to hit the word without the c, then try using a g, gonfidence, up that high it should be enough to make the word sound like confidence while helping to keep your throat open. You may even find a way of using no consonants at all and still have it sound like confidence.

Answers