Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

What are all the vocal types and pitch ranges for each - soprano, alto, tenor etc?

Hi, forgive me if this question has been asked here before, but what are all the vocal types, and what range of pitches are each one (if there's any standard way to measure it), for example what's the highest and lowest note to be considered a tenor, etc. I've heard of soprano, alto, tenor, bass etc. Can both males and females be in any of these categories? And of course these are not set for life, as we can grow our range. Are these called 'vocal faux'? If you can point me to a video Ken may have already done on these, that'd be great too. Thanks.

Comments

• INFJINFJ 2.0 PRO Posts: 87
    No answer yet, so I will give it a go lol.
    In the course it seems it's these types: Bass, baritone, tenor (male vocalists), alto and soprano (female vocalists). But in classical music there will be many more variations. I don't have that knowledge. Ken Tamplin usually refers to them as high baritone, low soprano etc. Perhaps that is easier to understand than to use the old school types. At least for us beginners.
    In the volumes he calls out the starting point for most of the types (in the headvoice section I believe). I think C#2 was the lowest reference note for bass and baritones (a bass can probably go a lot lower though). At F2 he called in the low tenors. Altos on G#2 if I recall it correctly. Sopranos was around G3 I think. He mentioned a high soprano could go to E6 and even up to F#6. Low soprano C6-C#6. High tenors he said would be able to hit A5-C6. So that could be some reference points. It is a pretty subjective matter. Depends so much on who is making the assessment and in what musical genre they are. I think the KTVA vocal typing is pretty useful. I would not complicate things with all the classical terms.
    I think we have seen that certain baritones can sing quite high too. The most accurate measurement would probably be to look at the low notes to determine baritone or tenor in these cases. For example I cannot start a scale exercise at anything lower than G#2, so then I am probably mid or high tenor. Altos can sing in the tenor range and vice versa, but that does not mean their type changes. Usually tenors can jump between notes quicker and with more agility than a baritone, because the baritone will carry more weight and muscle mass that has to be ditched. So it is not just the note value that is useful. You can also look at how they conduct themself when they make quick changes.

You might be talking about vocal Fach. A German word which means subject, compartment, department etc. It has many meanings and in German it is mostly used for other things than vocal types.

This does not answer all your questions, but might be a start.