Home Recording Techniques and Gear
Options

Recording Gear newbie

I'm building a home studio. I would like to be able to use it for singing and audio narration. I have a shure sm58, a hp laptop, a stand, two pure acoustic speakers, a sound proof booth and audio technicia headphones. What software and other parts do I need to add to get started? Looking for something that will add background music and also have the ability to lay my own tunes in the future. Seeking ease of use and popularity (as in other people can see and listen if I send it out). Mid range price and budget options.

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    you will also need an audio interface to connect your mic to the PC
  • Options
    KarenSingsKarenSings 2.0 PRO Posts: 80
    If you type in Karaoke Backing Tracks, or Guitar Backing Tracks and so on, you'll find multiple free and paid sites where you can download backing tracks for your vocals.

You will also need a DAW program. You can also Google reviews of those, and find what suits your needs best. It's one of those things where everyone loves the one they have and defends it vigorously.... you can learn the pros and cons of each, and it's best to hear that from multiple sources. I see that people don't discuss that much on this forum, so looking elsewhere would be an idea.

I use Pro Tools. It's very comprehensive. It's a memory hog. Every time I have trouble with something, my forum friends explain (in most helpful ways) why I should use their programs. :)

Working with a DAW is a learning project. :)