Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Improving lung capacity

Hello all! New student here.

I have had asthma since I was a small child. Born in a time before smoking while pregnant was a big deal so was born with small bronchial tubes and respiratory issues. Growing up in a smoking household didn't help either. I always loved music and singing, but due to my lung issues I never thought it was really an option for me.

My asthma has improved as I've gotten older, to the point where I only rarely need treatment. So I decided to take the plunge, get the course, and find my voice. My question is, what are the best exercises or methods to help improve lung capacity. Getting enough air to make sure I have proper support is my biggest challenge right now. I just hope it doesn't hobble me so much I'm not going to be able to improve my voice.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Angi

Answers

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome to the course and forum :smile:

What you'll find as you go through the course is that singing is more about breath management and trying to use as little as possible most of the time. You dont need huge amounts of air to use support. Go slowly through the course, I dont know exactly how bad your asthma is and im not a medical professional, but generally lung capacity isn't a hindrance unless your condition is very severe.

If you follow the exercises and how they are meant to be done you should be off to a good start. Check out the student area for many examples of students scales and then when you are ready post your own and we can help get you in the right direction.
  • spiderwtchspiderwtch 3.0 Streaming Posts: 2
    Thank you! This makes me feel a lot better about moving forward :)