Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Hard to sing higher quiet.

I've heard that a lot of people have trouble singing loudly when singing high. I'm the opposite; I can only sing high when I'm very audible. How can I sing high, but softly?

Another point I'd like to address, is it's harder for me to sing higher clear, rather than when I compress my air for what my best attempt at distortion. How can I develop a clear tone when singing high?

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You need to be able to control how much you compress. It's about slowly building up to it. When you reach a point in your range where you can no longer sing a clean tone, the next note in your scale is where you need to concentrate and hold back your air while engaging strong support.

The higher in your range the stronger the support, the more chest voice in your range requires even more support. Think about maxing a bench press in the gym, at first you are using all the strength you can muster just to get the bar up. As you get stronger, you will be able move the bar slower and with more control and it won't feel so heavy. This is my thought process for approaching the top of my range. I can sometimes get to an A5 now, a couple years ago F5 was my highest, but now that I can go higher, I have a LITTLE more control over how I can sing that F5.