Homeā€ŗ Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

A demo of my vocals

Below is a song that I covered, "Beth" by KISS. Because it was a Christmas present for a long -distance friend, I also added some lyrics of my own, and played all the instruments. I wish I had more time, it sounds pretty dumped together and there's tons of mistakes, especially in my vocals. Point them out please! What do I need to go back and refocus on; what nuances do you hear? I will accept any and all feedback! ā†“

https://youtu.be/t593IiYOWKY

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You've actually fairly good placement for your vowels over all. You lean into your mask a bit as you go higher without over doing it except at around 1:53, that was too much nasality. Bring the sound back into the pocket in your throat and project it, it will sound bigger, rounder and more powerful. Im guessing you weren't using a pop filter when recording because the th in Beth was really over blown and windy sounding alot of the time.

You can work on keeping more of an open throat, while the placements weren't too bad, there was a tiny bit of pinch or strain to your vocals over all. If you manage to work this out, you'll find more freedom for your voice which will open new possibilities for you.
  • TeddysreadyTeddysready Member Posts: 13
    Thank you, I appreciate it. To answer your question I was not using a pop filter, I was singing directly into the phone. And the 1:53 was a tiny homage to Axl Rose, which is why I only used it once. And as I'm a beginner, would you mind explaining what you mean by placement in my vowels?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I'm surprised that was recorded using your phone, just goes to show how easy it is to use what you have šŸ™‚ I understand now about the nasality part, it's actually another good example that you know how to adjust your tone, just needs a bit more subtly and you'll get his sound.

Placement of vowels means how you shape them in your throat and finding the pocket where they are natural and free feeling. They can be over and under accentuated, dark or bright, airy or have good cord closure, be heavy in your mask or pulled back. These things also relate to the tone you produce. You are at a good starting point, you can check out @Klaus_T page for a list of Ken's YouTube videos to create a basic workout to start training.