Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Should Singer / Songwriters Know Music Theory?

I want to learn music theory to be able to insert emotion in a song properly.
Basically, to be able to send the message I intend to send and not something that ONLY sounds good.
(Make a happy song sound happy and a sad song sound sad.)
However, people tell me that if I learn music theory, it will reduce my creativity.
What are you guys' thoughts?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Im learning piano and understanding chord structures and how to play some songs helps my creativity. Granted Im not doing a years long diploma of music study, but I think if its something you want to learn then go for it. A basic understanding has taken a bit of the romance out of music for me, but the same happened when I learned to sing. However, having that understanding makes me appreciate really good music even more.
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246

Basically, to be able to send the message I intend to send and not something that ONLY sounds good.
    However, people tell me that if I learn music theory, it will reduce my creativity.

HI

I learned music theory - I'm not sure whether its right or wrong. (As everything is inbuilt with me) But I guess it takes the sounds to the page and maybe that enhances your understanding of music - But I guess it could teach you italian lol and is sort of a grounding into music .It could be an asset but feeling the sound and music you can't necessaritly get that off a page - I'm unsure - It's totally up to you and if you think its gonna give you a broader understanding of music then do it - there's no harm in giving it a go. But the book I used was called rudiments of music I ended up sticking it under a table which was wobbling- Everything has a use lol.

Human Robot
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246

HI

this link may help you lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eKTOMhpy2w

Human Robot
  • cowoltercowolter Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2022
    Yes. Not because knowing theory will change your underlying creative processes, but because it'll allow you a systematic and precise understanding of the musical ideas which that creativity can produce. When you stumble across a noise you like, theory gives you the vocabulary and grammar with which you can define that noise in terms beyond your immediate aesthetic reaction to it -- so, with a little experimentation, you'll eventually start to have words to describe why you like a particular sound in a particular place, not just how it makes you feel.
    Complete Music Theory Rudiments Workbook and Answer Book
  • elijahgreaveselijahgreaves 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    cowolter said:

Yes. Not because knowing theory will change your underlying creative processes, but because it'll allow you a systematic and precise understanding of the musical ideas which that creativity can produce. When you stumble across a noise you like, theory gives you the vocabulary and grammar with which you can define that noise in terms beyond your immediate aesthetic reaction to it -- so, with a little experimentation, you'll eventually start to have words to describe why you like a particular sound in a particular place, not just how it makes you feel.
    Complete Music Theory Rudiments Workbook and Answer Book

Thank you so much !