Essentials For Singers that Are Starting Out Singing in a Band
seanvz
3.0 Streaming Posts: 115
What are the essential for a new singer trying to start a band and to do some light recording. Not too professional recording at this point.
I am thinking a mic stand. I have a pretty good starter's mic. I have a guitar amp that I can also plug a microphone into.
Any more suggestions? And specific suggestions of the brand and model numbers of the items if possible, please?
I am thinking a mic stand. I have a pretty good starter's mic. I have a guitar amp that I can also plug a microphone into.
Any more suggestions? And specific suggestions of the brand and model numbers of the items if possible, please?
Comments
-
For my home karaoke setup I use my girlfriends old PA speaker and as far as mic stands go, the cheap ones are fine if you dont do any adjusting, the cheap plastic parts wear out pretty quickly. I cant help with much else except for suggesting to go to a proper music and instrument store and have a chat to the people there.
-
I’ve recently started with a band. The first thing I noticed at my first practice was it was that the instruments (especially drums) were way too loud standing next to them. Next problem was trying to hear myself while wearing dB-limiting earplugs. As of now, my solution is in-ear monitors. They reduce the ambient sound level while letting me hear myself. The trick is to get the monitoring system connected to the mixer properly and finding the right input level. I’m using a Shure wireless monitor. It’a expensive, but definitely worth it to save my hearing and save my voice (from over-singing).
I’m also using a small (personal) mixer to add reverb just to my monitors. That helps me stay on pitch.
Despite all of this, I’ve found that singing in a band is much different from recording or singing karaoke. I still have a hard time controlling my voice in that setting. I am surprised by how difficult it can be to control pitch, since that had never been an issue before the band. -
I know this comment was from almost a year ago and you will already have your things but here is some to upgrade to if you're looking for other suggestions
As someone whos been in a local cover band for 8 years, In-ear monitors have saved me. I use a Shure wireless and you can get inexpensive earbuds on amazon (if you're not an audiophile).
I've never sung better than with these because I can finally hear myself without oversinging.
I also use a Shure wireless mic system that I love but I don't play an instrument so I like the freedom it gives me while moving around. I'd tell you what it is but I've had it so long that it's discontinued haha.
If you're also using a lyrics sheet, try out the app BandHelper.
You can put the chords in, it's relatively inexpensive (annual subscription of like $30) and you can have your entire band on it, make set lists on the fly, etc. -
Gonna check out the app BandHelper! And yes the in-ears are great but there are times (I’m the lead singer and the only one who uses them) I feel I’m disconnected fro the band so I keep one in-ear out for balance
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy


