Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Doubts about distortion (glottal compression vs fry)

Hi everyone!

I wanted to expose some doubts I have about vocal distortion. Maybe it is a topic that does not fit in the course, I just wanted to ask just in case someone has experience in this matters :)

I have been having some experiences with distortion and I am super confused. I have seen Ken's videos about glottal compresssion and I think that it is the kind of distortion that I've been using for some time, gently, without knowing how it really works. Now I think I understand and since I think I am not really ready (I am on vol 2) I am not pushing it at all. I understand that this is achieved through false chord engagement and I'll try to grow it in the future.

But I sometimes use another kind of distortion that it's vocal fry based and what I do is just lifting the vocal fry to higher notes. I am sorry, I can't explain it better, it is like doing vocal fry mixed with my singing voice. I also use vocal fry to give some texture to line starts or endings, I think this may be safe but the other usage I am afraid it might not.

But is this vocal fry usage somehow dangerous? Should I always rely on glottal compression and avoid this vocal fry distortion? Do you know if Ken addresses vocal fry on any video? I am really confused with this mechanisms 😂

Thank you so much for the help!

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Sometimes you need to do a bit of digging in the forums. There is a whole category on distortion here

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/categories/glottal-compression

And plenty of information about it in volume 3.

Vocal fry to me is like the other end of the spectrum compared to hyper glottal compression. The harmonic resonance is created by relaxing of the folds to create the croaky sound, distortion is created by holding back air so not enough is passing the cords and there is a slight seperation of the cords over your whole tone.

Fry tends to allow more air through than compression so defaulting to that is not as healthy.
  • OldbridgeOldbridge 2.0 PRO Posts: 29
    Hi Wigs!! Thank you very much, you always help me a lot.

I understand now 👍

I'll check that part of the forums too, thanks!!!

Have a great day