Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Ventura Highway cover

Here is a live performance of me playing Ventura Highway by America. Looking for all types of feedback to help me become a better singer!
https://youtu.be/agtKh4y1IYk

Comments

• DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hello again Michael, nice to see you performing! B)
    Sound quality from the video doesn't help much with all the ambience reverb... From the bit I can hear, you're in pitch, got the rythm. Maybe watch your support on the high notes, feel if indeed your abdomen is doing the job not your throat up there... Remember you should feel the thickness, the tubular sound coming from below. It's an inisde feeling, and it's subtle. I have many times I think I'm ok but when I listen back to the recordings I hear some throat there that I didn't notice while singing. I go back the next day, be extra aware of adbominal engagment during the high notes, and when I listen back I find a difference.. For me sometimes helps to lean a tiny bit forward in the high notes so I can feel how the abdomen engages and fuels the sound, here my mind also recalls a bit of the situp workout and does the trick. Dont let it go to your throat much. Not that in this sample it's happening that much, but just be aware in your future sessions. Not easy, subtle but it's a thing to look for all the time so we consider this an area of interest when judging our own singing :#
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ill put it this way, if Im an average person not doing the course and not knowing about singing, Id think this was a solid performance and it sounds like you are a musician that knows what you are doing. Even as someone doing the course I think the same, you put on a good show and seem comfortable. Take note of what @DannyOc3an has mentioned to monitor yourself but I think you are doing really well applying what you have learnt to further your artistry.
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Happy to have both @DannyOc3an and @Wigs providing feedback! My main concern is my voice being thing and not seeming powerful. Generally, I have always had a quieter voice. I am 5'9" and have weighed 140lbs since high school. My chords are naturally smaller than a larger guy like Ken's so I believe this sound is probably similar to what I would actually sound like, but I could maybe improve slightly with support and open throat. Lately I have referenced more female students of Ken's and female singer tones. I believe my singing tone is closer to a traditionally female singer's tone than the average male. Not necessarily good or bad, but different and unique. Given this information, I'm curious if you have additional comments.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    As long as the tone is good to listen to and you continue to develop it, then male or female comparisons have less meaning. When I listen to this its still a masculine sounding voice but sung with a bit of tenderness and emotion. You sound like you are doing what you should with your voice, the song would sound very different with alot more belting chest, maybe post a sample of something where you attempt this.
  • crabolacrabola Pro Posts: 20
    I think it sounds very good. This song is deceptively hard to sing. There's no where to hide in it. If you mess up the phrasing it's really noticeable. I've tried singing this with a backing track and it's really not that easy to make sound good. I think you're doing a really good job with it. Lot's of America's songs are like that. Sister Golden Hair is even more difficult IMO. You definitely don't sound like a female. Keep up the good work!
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    You rock @crabola thanks for the kind comments!