Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Speechless - Dan + Shay cover

Hello everyone, this week I am working on Speechless by Dan and Shay. I have been struggling with balancing a proper breath support with glottal compression while removing any tension and having natural vibrato. Let me know your thoughts!

https://youtu.be/YiDUkIs4Lj0

Comments

• DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hi there Michael!
    Nice, maybe try to gain more awareness of what happens when you try to compress and your throat begins to close down and pinch the sound when going higher; this is not easy and one of the reasons Ken's idea is to embed in muscle memory open throat first before training glottal compression. So, try the yawning open throat relaxed feeling as your first line of defense, your first go-to, don't lose it, and watch what happens the moment you try to compress.. don't allow the compression sensation to close the open throat, especially going higher. Keep that easy open yawning space. Try to compress mainly in your upper chest, and the line below the neck as best as you can so by the time the air gets to your glotis it's already a bit compressed; the glotis would be the last checkpoint; not the only one since it can cause your throat to pinch

Then maybe watch your mask since bringing some mask serves this song and tone well; you are applying it most of the time and that is what gives that sparkly bright sound. But you're losing some on a few endings here and there (for brief moments), and on those moments pitch suffers a dip. So, try to feel that resonance on the front of your face, by the nose bones, like tingling sensation as a constant permanent thing without losing it any sec.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I think it's alot of consistent support that you are missing. The high "I" was well placed and supported and had the right amount of compression, nice and clear. Funny thing is it's the highest note but you are able to pitch it correct because you have the muscle memory and it's kind of its own seperate phrase. Each note is a combination of muscle memory and support, that's all it comes down to.

You don't need to overly compress this song, but lean in and out of it as needed.