Support needed for classical vs modern music
Hey guys, I feel like whenever I sing opera (as a countertenor), I feel that I need a lot of engagement. My abs, my back, in fact my whole core is engaged and needs to be worked efficiently, so that I can have a perfect kind of resonance, that anables me to sing powerfully without amplifying the sound (and sustain the long florid passages). However, whenever I sing modern music, even when I'm belting, I don't feel like I need so much strength in my abs. Is this normal, or am I undersinging/underworking ?
Florian
Florian
Comments
-
Hello Guy, having a video would be ideal here .No matter how detailed the description of what you are doing, it won't do justice like a video does. I have had times when I felt like I had to use all this support, but what was really happening was I should have mixed more into my headvoice and should have built that headvoice more. The support was already there and flexing more felt like it wasn't doing anything more. Thanks for posting and hope to hear you sing soon.
-
Well there are some key differences. In modern singing you can cheat more. In belcanto you should have exactly this timbre and sing exactly this Note. So it gives not enough room to modulate. Also in modern singing you can transpose Rather freely in Opera not as much.
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

