Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Some simplified observations going through the course...

As I've gone through the course and done different exercises as well as live performances I've noticed some things physically that I do that seem to help simplify a lot of the language that can get confusing. Wanted to know if I'm on the right track with my observations and see if anyone else has input on the matter..

1. Vowel Mods - I've noticed instead of thinking of every vowel mod I focus on raising the soft palate as I ascend in notes and go to higher phrases. This almost makes the mods happen by default or that the vowel mods become a by product of raising the soft palate. This also helps create a nice physical "bridge" for going up to the higher notes.

2. Open Throat - I tend to focus more on keeping my mouth open and my lips from touching while singing to naturally keep my throat open. I also find that this helps with the soft palate as I mentioned above. Also helps me with the hard consonant sounds so instead of thinking too much about that I focus on keeping my lips from touching as much as possible while singing.

3. Mixed voice/Head Voice - I find that for a more useable head voice or mixed voice sound while singing rock I just think of going into my head voice but then bringing that sound forward into the mask and bright and it helps the higher notes sound more aggressive that works for a rock type setting.

I was just curious if anybody else notices these things to be true. I'm also not trying to set myself up for bad habits so I'm just curious what everything thinks thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited November 2022
    hi Mark, i think it sounds pretty accurate. i like to think about it like this (especially on the vowel mods): some people can sing really well without knowing the vowel mods, but they might naturally go to that same position of the structures to "subconsciously" do the correct placement. so the mod is just a description or approximation of the natural state. i don't think it creates bad habits to think about it like this. whatever you name it, the "ping" and all the other correct techniques need to be there, whether you think of it as a vowel mod, or just subconsciously shape the structures that way. as long as the resulting tone is good, you are fine

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    For vowel mods, yes you do raise the soft palette, but you also still need to be mindful of shaping the mod in your throat to stay true to the original vowel, otherwise you run the risk of defaulting to the same sound such as twang for those high notes and you lose alot of subtle expression in your singing.

Open throat can actually be quite independent on your lip position. Think of our warm-up exercises, we still need to keep an open throat for lip drills and tongue exercises. When singing big high vowels an open mouth will help with projection and a more resonant sound, but all the magic still happens in the throat if you support well and manage your air flow.

For mixed voice that's generally the idea up high, a bright head voice that you can lean into with a bit of weight to make a slightly more chestier sound.