Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Bring It On Home - Sam Cooke [Comment your Feedback]

Hello Everyone,

This week’s post is a cover of me singing *Bring It On Home by Sam Cooke.*

Summary
I haven't had much time to practice over the last two weeks because I've been traveling. This clip is me singing in my hotel room because that was the only place I could practice singing privately. Sorry for the cheesy camera angle. I filmed this video for my latest YouTube video on my channel.

Obstacle
I have always struggled to have a powerful and big voice. I feel this clip shows how my voice has a tendency to be thin and weak.

Solution
I attempt to do exercises as loud and consistently as possible sometimes. I may struggle with finding that sweet pocket in the mouth.

All feedback from a beginner’s ear to a skilled pro is welcome.
@DannyOc3an
@bentk
@Wigs
@LindseyBean
@guychan
@Terence
@Vocality

https://youtu.be/fv_FKOLHM1c

Comments

• GuyChanGuyChan 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 167
    edited November 2022
    Hey Michael. Your voice reminds me of Steve Perry. You sing with a soft tone that is kinda velvety. It seems like your voice is naturally (relatively) soft.

So for a smaller voice, it's harder to get a big voice. I'm going through this also. I find that I can find more power over time. Time and consistent practice is key here I would say. And also, of course, good diaphragmatic support. You wanna feel your abs. I find that this helps a lot getting a round and full sound.

One more important thing, if you have a smaller lighter voice, don't worry about volume. Think about frequency. It's the placement of your sound in the throat, combined with the pressure of your breath, that will give you frequencies, harmonics (if you're familiar with that term), and those harmonics will be your power. That "pocket" you're talking about. That takes its place in the throat, against the soft palate. When I have it, I feel like I'm "singing from my soft palate". The column of air that's in your throat, above your vocal folds and up against your soft palate, that's the area that shapes your sound. This is the area that you wanna play with, to find the right placement, that pocket.

Prefer a rich tone, than a loud voice. Which is what you're doing, and that's awesome.

Keep on working and your voice will set to a place where it I'll find it's stability. Get more and more pristine and precise on your placement. Muscle memory have a lot to do in that also. Because if you wanna lean into a sound, you better find good placement for resonance first.

That's my take.

Peace, Florian
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    @GuyChan being compared to Steve Perry is a dream! I appreciate your comment and will seek to continue finding how I can sing with that resonating pocket that makes the voice bigger.
  • kworamkworam 3.0 Streaming Posts: 118
    edited December 2022
    @michaelmusic such a cool old song, great choice. I listened to you first and then Sam. I think you sound really good singing this song. I think you got a little pitchy on the "Yeah"'s at the very end, seemed like your energy dropped a little. If you sang them with the same energy as the rest of your performance, it's an A+ to me!