Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Kens Vocal Scale Exercises not using Vowel Modifications?

Hey all wanted to know why during the vocal warmups scales, ken doesn’t use the vowel transitions he taught in the videos series for chest voice?

For example in this @0:19-1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXHQJc9L6s&ab_channel=KenTamplinVocalAcademy

Ken does the Aa vowel scale but doesn’t go to aw or uh like he teaches in the videos (at around F and a little above that for the uh vowel) it just sounds like he sticks with the Aa vowel through the whole scale

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i think he is modifying?
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    gene091 said:

ken doesn’t use the vowel transitions he taught in the videos series for chest voice?

In that secrtion he's in headvoice or a light mix from F#4 to A4. There may be a slight vowel mod on F4 but he doesn't need it. He's singing there like he does in vol. 5 exercises where he says there's no need for vowel mods when you transition early to a mix.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    also, the point where you need the mod will move up with training, so Ken needs the mod later than someone who hasn't trained for quite as long (=all of us).
  • gene091gene091 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2022
    Klaus_T said:

also, the point where you need the mod will move up with training, so Ken needs the mod later than someone who hasn't trained for quite as long (=all of us).

Thanks Klaus for that info
  • gene091gene091 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2022
    Terence said:

gene091 said:

ken doesn’t use the vowel transitions he taught in the videos series for chest voice?

In that section he's in headvoice or a light mix from F#4 to A4. There may be a slight vowel mod on F4 but he doesn't need it. He's singing there like he does in vol. 5 exercises where he says there's no need for vowel mods when you transition early to a mix.
    I havent gotten up to that part yet because he said its dangerous to go into head and mix training before chest.

He was putting alot of emphasis on the vowel mods in the vid 1 demos, so I thought that's how he wanted us to train as well, but the scale exercise vol 1 mp3s ignore it seemingly, same thing as the youtube video.

Is that how we should be doing the scale as well in vol 1 for chest training?
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    gene091 said:

Terence said:

gene091 said:

In that section he's in headvoice or a light mix from F#4 to A4. There may be a slight vowel mod on F4 but he doesn't need it. He's singing there like he does in vol. 5 exercises where he says there's no need for vowel mods when you transition early to a mix.
    I havent gotten up to that part yet because he said its dangerous to go into head and mix training before chest.

He was putting alot of emphasis on the vowel mods in the vid 1 demos, so I thought that's how he wanted us to train as well, but the scale exercise vol 1 mp3s ignore it seemingly, same thing as the youtube video.

Is that how we should be doing the scale as well in vol 1 for chest training?
    Ken usually goes out of his way to demonstrate vowel mods even in places he no longer has to use them. If you stick with the course videos, he'll do that. Youtube videos may not always have those details so you're better off sticking with the course.

What's happening on that video is he's casually going into a light mix past the F4. He can do that since his headvoice is so well developed. A KTVA student would be post vol 4 to do that so casually. This is just what happens sometimes, I suppose, when you have a fully developed voice but you're doing demonstrations for six or more voice types.