Homeβ€Ί GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Hello people

So i have been practicing again my vocal thing since i guess 15 days....

And just trying to build a robust chest voice

I have some questions..

First is it important that in what series we are doing our workout..

For example in my case..it's

1. Ken quick warm up
2. Diaphragm workout twice
3. How to rock chest voice workout
4. Daily vocal exercise ken
5. Head voice not regularly since i have neighbours around me....

So this is a basic workout i do ..

Then i turn in to songs....and i have some songs..and to see if i am improving...

I pick a song, then sing it and record it...

And then i record that song again after 20 days...

And compare both recordings to see if i have improved or not.....

Today's vocal exercise was pretty tight for me...it's like my body has been kinda locked and i was pushing as much as i can....and u know sometimes your whole body feels really tired....and may be that also affects vocal workout...

But i am hoping that tomorrow exercise will be good and ok for me.....

Also to judge if my exercise were good...i focus on relaxation response...
Like if i am feeling comfortable and getting that relaxation then i feel i am doing things right...

I know teacher is important and doing thing self is ok upto some time....

And trust me i am just waiting for perfect time to buy course...and just dive in this...ocean to train harder and harder...

But till that time i try my best to continue practice, new textures and songs whenever i get time....

So above i basically told how i carry my exercises and everything...

If u read it then thank u...and if u have any guidance or point to work on pls suggest me......

Keep rocking people....πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Best Answers

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    Answer βœ“
    sounds like there is nothing wrong with the order of how you do things. is your body tired from the workout, or already before? my best advice would be for you to post a recording of the LAH exercise and let us guide you. you might be too loud, push too hard, etc, and we would never know from your description. it is a common mistake to be too loud in the beginning. the sooner you get feedback, the sooner you can go in the right direction.
  • Options
    Answer βœ“
    alright, great. ideally post a video, but audio is fine too. please tag me @Klaus_T when you post the workout. thanks
  • Options
    edited November 2022 Answer βœ“
    hi, great that you posted the examples. thanks. you don't sing too loud, i think the volume seems safe. you could try and do it a bit softer, see how that feels, but it is not excessively loud now. you are doing quite well in general. ideally, for pitch you can record the guide track along with your vocals so that we have a reference. you can brighten up the LAH sound even more, like when the doctor wants to see your tonsils. the singing sounded nice, you could try to cut back the air a bit more, it is a little bit breathy. the more you work on support and later maybe compression, the more air you can save. a good way of knowing you are not airy is to listen for the bright ping.
  • Options
    Answer βœ“
    great. remember it is a long game. you need to grow muscle and learn how to control it, it takes a lot of time. progress does not happen over night, but you will get better and better over time, slowly but surely. make sure you are consistent with your training. that's the best way to improve

Answers

• Options
    sommonsommon Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2022
    @Klaus_T right, by tomorrow i will surely post my lah workout so i can get some better feedbacks...thank u Klaus......

And yes i guess my body was tired πŸ˜… yesterday, but also i think u r right i might be pushing to hard for sound and that ping quality....

• Options
    https://youtu.be/v7Wrz44xa3A

Hey @Klaus_T ....

This is a rough workout..of mine...
    The reason i am saying this is rough is because u may feel the pitcha aren't right...

But to give u a pretty gist this power and way i put in my workout...and honestly just by listening i think its not right...like i can feel how i am kinda pushing hard on lower sounds ..may be to make my chest voice more strong....

Please give me a good feedback and how should I further proceed....

Again u may feel pitch aren't correct...but i just recorded in a quick manner so u can get a gist about how actually i do things...

Thank u
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/7HaPW_gVfOU

That's my song practice audio...sorry for my bad English in it ...i am working on pronounciation.....

• Options
    @Klaus_T thanks for ur feedback..and yes i will definitely work on things that u mentioned above. And i think i should calm myself and see where is the problem.. because i have been feeling really tired and a bit frustratedπŸ˜… lately...due to feeling of no improvement..

But now i know how i should proceed ..
    Thank u again..

• Options
    Hey @Klaus_T ......today's exercise was better than previous days...
    But today i have realised something that i want to share...and share your thoughts on it...

1. Since i have shifted from my house, in this new apartment things r not really good...like in previous hourse i had a single room on my roof.. where i just get into lock the door then just.. practice with full freedom...and u know it was much better...

But here in apartment i don't have any room like that...and belive me it's just too frustrating...like here i do whatever i can..but just the feeling
    U can do much more but can't do...everyday passing is just so frustrating.....as if u can practice and work hard but someone has stopped u from working and tied your body so u can't....

Sorry i started ranting my own emotions...

But the point is i think when i practice lah aaa vocal exercise...i kinda skip the bridge part and jump on mixed voice thing.....that's why my chest voice wasn't getting any strong...

Like my voice now has lower tone, but when i try to sing either i can sing in lower tone..or weak mixed voice......but not in middle part i hope u r getting my point.....

What's your thoughts on that?

2. I don't know why sometimes i really feel as if i am short of breath...
    Like when i take breath and my belly comes out, something feels stuck and i can't get that relaxation sensation of full breath....idk why i feel like that....

And it's not just present thing..it also happened in past....

So what do you think should i prefer doctor in this case...or u can advise me any breathing therapy or exercise through which i can be better....

Thank u sir

• Options
    i will answer part 1 of your question later, don't have much time now, but part 2 is important:

if you think you need to see a doctor, by all means do it. we can only guess what is going on, if you think you need a doctor, we can't say you don't need one. it might be nothing, but if there is the slightest doubt, please check it with your doctor
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ok now the rest of the answer...

growing chest and learning to bridge are very important for the long connected note that Ken wants us to achieve, so that you ideally can't tell a difference between head and chest voice. it is a long process and requires disciplined work, plus the right information on how to do this. if i understand your description right, you need to strengthen your chest voice. plus you need the vowel modifications for stretching properly, and also to go up high. the head voice is usually weak and airy in people who have not trained towards a more bright tone there. learning to bridge is important too, and so are lots of other things. not to sound like a commercial, but if you have the means, the course is the best way to get all of this right. you can go far with the free videos but obviously you will not have all the information in the right order.

sorry to hear about your new housing situation, but maybe what holds you back is not so much the neighbours, but your own mind. it is embarrassing to be heard during practice, i know, but the more often you do it, the less self-conscious you will be. try to push the envelope a bit, see if anyone actually complains, or even talk to the people in earshot and have them understand your situation better. there are possibilities beyond just not working out, it might take patience, boldness and communication, but it can be improved, i am sure of that. good luck :)
  • Options
    @Klaus_T thank u for replying, and yes now i sing and practice as much as i can...and honestly i don't care about my neighbours...

πŸ˜… I probably know, my neighbour must be thinking that who is this alien everynight screaming at 8 pm to 10 pm......but i am ok with as its part my journey....and yes i have an appointment with doctor and hopefully
    .. everything will be fine...

Again thank u ...and a special thanks to ken...for this forum