Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Had a false start and coming back after a couple months.

stiffupperlipstiffupperlip 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5
edited December 2022 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
I'm happy to see there are at least a few other older people here learning to sing. At this age, 48, it seems a little pointless to learn how to sing properly, finally. But, it's something I've always wanted to do.

I got the 3.0 program about two months ago and got lost right away. Maybe you guys can help me figure out why and how to improve how I'm approaching it?

First, I tried to follow along with the daily lessons. But, when I get to the lessons that repeat for several days, I lose track of how many days I've been doing it. What do you guys use to remember what day you're on?

Second, Ken seems to use this weird nasally tone in the exercises that is super weird and bad sounding to me. I can just sing La and have it be bright and clear without that nasally tone. And, I know Ken can sing better than that. So, are we doing that weird sound on purpose? In one little part of one video he briefly seems to mention that singing like that helps to grow the voice. Is that it?
Should I be doing that weird nasally sound in all the exercises?

Third, doing the exercises every day without any actual singing is so incredibly boring! When are we going learn which songs to sing for our voice?

I've already noticed a big improvement in my range and power, just from doing the warm up exercises. I got up to days 19 through 23 the first time I started, though I skipped ahead a little. (Edit: What I mean by skipped ahead apparently isn't the same as most people. I forget that some people actually ignore information and will actually skip stuff. I watch and read everything. I just don't wait a day to keep going, completing several "days" in a single day.) When I began again a couple days ago, I just began where I left off without any noticeable problem. I'll just try to continue from here and afterwards sing along to some stuff I like.

But, I'd rather be on more of a clear path.

Edit: My apologies. I just got full access to the forum and I found things like this:
https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/16197/how-to-do-ktva-3-0#

That helps with some things. Sort of. I really don't like being told to watch videos over and over. I have a memory. I don't even like watching movies twice because I remember everything that's going to happen. Plus, reference material should always be in writing. People can look something up and read it much faster than sitting through a video.

Comments

• Options
    ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    edited December 2022
    Welcome to the course, @stiffupperlip!

I'm glad you're already seeing improvement in your training.

3.0 is laid out as a step-by-step, day-by-day guide. If you're losing track, marking off the days on a calendar or in a notebook should help. Even better, you can use a diary or notebook to make your own personal notes on your progress -- anything you notice, any difficulties you're having, or any leaps forward you've noticed. Recording yourself once a month, for example, can show you clearly how your voice is growing over time.

If you're finding the repeated video watching to be unhelpful, you can choose not to do it. It is very helpful to rewatch the videos periodically, however, because as students gain knowledge, we find that we notice more and more in the videos that we missed previously.

The weird, nasal sound is the PING, and yes, it is the only sound that will grow the voice. Without using it in your training, your voice will not grow. The ping can only be achieved through correct technique. If you are not training with that sound, then you know that your technique is incorrect.

You can sing songs whenever you want! As a comparison, the workouts are the "training in a gym with a personal trainer" part of playing a sport, whereas singing is the "going out onto the football field" part. You do the training correctly to develop your technique, and then apply your training when you go and sing songs.

The course can seem overwhelming at first, but as you go through it, you'll understand more and everything will become second nature.
  • Options
    stiffupperlipstiffupperlip 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5
    Elara said:

Welcome to the course, @stiffupperlip!

I'm glad you're already seeing improvement in your training.

3.0 is laid out as a step-by-step, day-by-day guide. If you're losing track, marking off the days on a calendar or in a notebook should help. Even better, you can use a diary or notebook to make your own personal notes on your progress -- anything you notice, any difficulties you're having, or any leaps forward you've noticed. Recording yourself once a month, for example, can show you clearly how your voice is growing over time.

If you're finding the repeated video watching to be unhelpful, you can choose not to do it. It is very helpful to rewatch the videos periodically, however, because as students gain knowledge, we find that we notice more and more in the videos that we missed previously.

The weird, nasal sound is the PING, and yes, it is the only sound that will grow the voice. Without using it in your training, your voice will not grow. The ping can only be achieved through correct technique. If you are not training with that sound, then you know that your technique is incorrect.

You can sing songs whenever you want! As a comparison, the workouts are the "training in a gym with a personal trainer" part of playing a sport, whereas singing is the "going out onto the football field" part. You do the training correctly to develop your technique, and then apply your training when you go and sing songs.

The course can seem overwhelming at first, but as you go through it, you'll understand more and everything will become second nature.

Hey, that was ALL really helpful. Thank you very much. :smiley: