Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

And now for something completely different.... "O Isis and Osiris" by Mozart

Comments

• michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard a song like this before. Great to try new things! Really bright tone in the low notes. Low notes sound like the larynx is dropped too low. I would intentionally add a bit of air to the sound for a more pleasant tone. Pitch could also be improved slightly. Thank you for sharing.
  • kworamkworam 3.0 Streaming Posts: 118
    edited January 2023
    @michaelmusic Thanks for listening, This is not one of the really famous opera arias, but a really cool one I think. When you say bright tone in the low notes, do you think that sounds good or not? I ask because in opera, they prize a really dark tone for bass voices.You might be interested to hear it sung by a famous operatic bass named Kurt Moll who did a great job with it:

https://youtu.be/B2lKLi0rJDA

I will work on getting the low notes with a natural larynx position and work on nailing the pitch. I appreciate your feedback!
    @michaelmusic I did another version of the song with your feedback in mind. I'd appreciate it if you give it another listen and tell me what you think

https://www.smule.com/recording/w-a-mozart-o-isis-und-osiris/2943495289_4551884995?channel=Copy-Link
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Nice, comparing your version with the one you provided above here's my thoughts.

Open throat: Singer in the video had more resonance in the throat and natural vibrato. That throat resonance happens when you hit that sweet spot in the back of the throat on the soft palate and your tongue is dropped to the base of the jaw.

Vocal placement: The thumbnail of the singer in your video shows perfectly how the singer is more narrow with the song. Your vowels are a bit wider (which is better for pop because we don't want to sound classical and dark on the sound). If you want to be dark and covered then you would close the mouth (similar to the picture depending on the vowel) while still maintaining that brassy tone.

Brassy tone: yes you did this well

Control and Dynamics: You can't fake professionalism. Even someone who doesn't sing will here the two versions and their ear can tell one is an accomplished professional singer and one isn't (yet!!). As you continue to gain more experience (no matter your craft) professionalism is something people feel.

Keep up the great work!
    @michaelmusic thanks for giving it another listen and giving me your detailed feedback! I do agree that Kurt Moll has good resonance throughout the entire piece, I will work on get the most resonance I can throughout as well. I'll work on that dark operatic tone as well. I appreciate your careful listening!