Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi from Australia

PaulinozPaulinoz 3.0 Streaming Posts: 6
edited January 2023 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hi folks, my name is Paul and it is so good to be a part of this forum and all its resources. I’ve spent some time pouring over the site and I’ll be doing much more of that to come.
I am originally from Canada but I’ve been in Australia for almost 12 yrs now and in that time, I’ve taken voice lessons from two instructors for a total of about 8 lessons. In each case, I had to quit due to a sore throat. One of the things that I’m blown away by from Ken’s course is all of the lessons on breathing, support and warmups! Of the approx 8 lessons I did in the past, there wasn’t one discussion about any of that. I literally walked into their studios and started singing…no wonder I had throat issues!
Now, I’m starting this quite late in life, at 61 yrs old but it is something I’ve always wanted to do, hence the previous attempts, but never achieved successfully. I believe in life long learning so here I am to take on this huge challenge.
I started playing guitar regularly about a year ago and I’m certainly still a beginner, but it has been a wonderful journey thus far. One of the things I want to achieve is to be able to play some songs but also to sing them as well. Right now, I’m told by my partner, I’ll never make it as a busker(due to my voice:) so I’m attempting to do something about that…oh, and I really don’t want to be a busker:) just to be able to sing the songs while I play my guitar.
I have read a few comments on here already about how overwhelming it is when first starting. After two weeks in, I can certainly say that I feel the same way. Being new to singing, a lot of the terminology is a bit difficult to grasp, as are some of the exercises and concepts.
I started with the main 3.0 Learn to sing course but it wasn’t long before I moved to the “learn at your own pace” lessons. It was much too fast for me in the main course. I’m now on video 14 which is the “Lah! Ah! and so far it is going okay.
Where I am struggling is pitch and scales for the lip session and tongue exercise. I am have a lot of trouble hearing the notes and, no idea what the note is without a tuner of some kind. I certainly have very little music knowledge or ability with respect to singing but nonetheless, I’m really exited to take on this journey.
I received some great feedback from Bob over in the course “comments” section and I’m working through that feedback at the moment.
Well, that is my story for now. I hope to be communicating here from time to time, regarding my singing journey.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hey, you should register for students' access to the forum, you see the explanation on how to in the categories of this forum. yes it can be overwhelming. what helps is a lot of watching and re-watching the videos, reading and posting on this forum for clarification, not pressuring yourself. it takes time and you need to see it as a journey in order not to go mad ;) progress is slow and steady and before you know it you are that busker... whether you want to be, or not...

if you stay consistent, in a few years time you will sound like a pro. i suggest you do some eartraining as well, check out tonedear.com, read the instructions and maybe start with the intervals 1,3, 5, slowly adding more as you get better.

remember we are all here to help so don't hesitate to ask.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Welcome, Paul.

You are among friends and many others on a journey just like yours!

Bob
  • PaulinozPaulinoz 3.0 Streaming Posts: 6
    Klaus/Bob,
    Thank you for the encouragement and help in the Learn at your own pace” sessions(Bob, I’m Anthony over there-it’s a long story:)
    I just wanted to add that I found an app and was able to check my range at the start of the training which A2-E4 . Now, I normally wouldn’t have a clue what that meant but I’m starting to have some understanding. Obviously this range is very limited especially when one considers the comfortable range(which I think is called the tessitura) but I’m working on this everyday and I’m hoping to see some improvement soon. Because of the throat issues I’ve had in the past, I am taking things slowly. I’m going to spend several days or longer on video 14 which is the Ah before moving to the other vowels.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2023
    yeah take it slow, it is not a sprint but a marathon. regarding the range, you can track your progress, but it is not such an important factor in my opinion. sure, you want to reach high notes, but the growth process is slow and it might be discouraging to view it from this angle. your tone and technical abilities are what counts (if you sound bad in 7 octaves, who cares, right?!). the range will expand anyway as you follow the course, it is a side effect, not a goal, if that makes any sense