Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Difference Between Tone & Pitch

seanvzseanvz 3.0 Streaming Posts: 115
Thanks @Wigs and @Klaus_T for both answering my questions so far!

It's so much more helpful for two people to answer my questions than one! :) Both of you give me a more comprehensive understanding of what I'm asking about :)

What exactly does the tone mean when related to pitches? Or, maybe a better question of what is a tone related to singer's tone of voice? Etc.?

Thanks again.
Sean

Comments

• ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    This is something that you can look outside the course for, as they are defined terms. A search on Wikipedia for "tone" will give you a list in the Sound and Music category that will cover everything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone

In KTVA, you have good pitch when you are singing the note you want to sing (What), and you have good tone when you have mastered technique to the point where someone listening to you will appreciate the sound of your voice (How). It's more than this, of course, but What and How are what it boils down to.
  • Dewy69Dewy69 3.0 Streaming Posts: 35
    New to the course, but many years of music. You can be "pitch perfect" but not sound good. Tone is how your voice sounds. The "ping is king" that is spoken of in the course is to do with tone.

In some other words, you can have two people singing the same note at the same pitch. The one with the better "tone" will sound better. For me, while my pitch is not perfect, It's my tone that needs even more work.

Hope this helps a little. Along with Elara's explanation. Which is good.
  • lisa71lisa71 Member Posts: 7
    Great examples, that has clarified that for me also. Thankyou!