Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Options

Ken Tamplin's tone. Does the course work for everyone?

I've been following Ken's channel and this forum for a couple of years now. And I've NEVER heard anyone (mean male singers) sound as good as Ken as far as his tone goes (the resonance, projection, stamina, power)

Of course, from my subjective perspective.

I mean. I have no doubts that the program he proposes can build some degree of range and power and we can see that in student demonstrations. But the tone itself can hardly be changed. Everyone's vocal tract shape has its beauty and imperfections.

Ken's talked a lot about his journey towards getting the voice he was looking for and all the struggle. But that's his journey. It doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.

Maybe I'm using this as a kind of an excuse to justify my failures (or maybe the course is not specifically designed to suit my medical dilemma)

I don't know.

Though I have to say that out of everything I've tried, seen and heard so far, Ken offers the best program, and the most effective (I've worked with 5 different coaches over this time).

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,359
    Ken's course is not designed specifically for yours or anyone else's medical dilemma. It is designed for the "mean average" of all singers, in the middle from complete beginner to accomplished professional.

Ken is not a doctor. He is a vocal instructor. And he does teach us how to affect our tone. Covered vs Open techniques. Bright tone. Reduction of air. Support, support, support.

You have received a lot of support from this forum. We are empathetic to your particular situation, and wish you the best. I don't think you would find anywhere near the amount of help or encouragement for your singing voice anywhere else.

Each of us has to take what we are born with (or life changes that happen to us) and apply Ken's techniques. We then record, listen back, and try to do more of what we like and less of what we don't like, using the learning tools Ken provides.

I encourage you to keep trying. It may be an uphill battle, but for many of us that is the case. The goal is to improve, in leaps and bounds, or little-by-little.

I know I had no idea that my tone could be modified via vocal technique. I have to say that I like my vocal tone a LOT more than I did before I took his course.

I hope you can exchange some of your frustration with inspiration. In many cases a can-do attitude will assist, where a can't-do attitude will defeat. I'm not discounting your personal challenges. I'm just encouraging you to grab the bull by the horns and keep doing the best you can with what you have to work with.

We all want the same thing here. Some of us have to work a lot harder than others to get there.

Ken worked very, very hard to accomplish what he has accomplished with his voice. It took him years and years of very hard work.

Don't give up.

• Options
    Aleksooo7Aleksooo7 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 133
    It’s true. Ken’s journey was definitely not a bed of roses.

That’s what I find the most inspiring.

Thanks for your support) it might have sounded like I was about to give up. But that wasn’t my intention)
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,359
    You've seen the videos of Joao, right? How to Sing Like Ken Tamplin? In many ways he sounds just like Ken to me.
    https://youtu.be/ejibaUFkTbE
  • Options
    Aleksooo7Aleksooo7 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 133
    Yeah, I’ve seen)) he’s pretty good)

He even looks like Ken))I mean the hair, beard) gestures, body etc.)

But his own character is the missing link as for me))
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    no two people sound the same, they may sound similar but not the same, voices are like snowflakes. There are greats who sound better than Ken and greats who sound worse than Ken but theyre still greats. (how they sound is purely a matter of taste) The point is to develop yourself to be the best you can be by learning the techniques that he teaches. You must build the musculature and the tone comes with that as does the power and stamina. His voice is like a trained athlete that has participated in the olympics yours is like a a kid in his first year of high school track. Practice and build and maybe in 30 years you'll be in the olympics.