Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Hello All !! Question for Ken and all experienced singers or anyone with an experienced answer.

I originally asked this question to Ken directly and he encouraged me to share it in the forum to get input from all of you as well.
" Hello Ken, sorry to interrupt you. Just had some questions about singing when you get a chance. If you do voice over work with your natural voice and you attempt to sing different notes while you practice VO will the singing voice effect the VO voice and vise versa ?? I know when I first started with VO they recommended "no announcer voices" if you want success in VO. What's your take ??

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited June 2023
    i am working in video game dubbing in germany (directing, casting, audio engineering) so i work with actors a lot, and can relate to this.

that what they said "no announcer voices" is less a problem with the tone of the voice as it is with the acting (or lack thereof). we sometimes get people that have YT channels or work for the radio, and if they are meant to act that does not really work. they just always sound the same with this advertising/over-excited tone that does not fit the scene.

a good actor has usually done some kind of acting training, very few are naturals. even if you wouldn't intuitively think so (everyone has emotions, right?), there is a lot to "selling" all these emotions, most normal people sound flat and not convincing at all. it is a skill. a good actor can of course sound like an announcer if need be.

a lot of these actors are also good singers. i never heard of vocal training (if done correctly) that offset someone's speaking voice. if anything, it adds versatility, range, stamina etc. you will gain more control over your voice.

also, my speaking voice has not changed much (maybe not at all) from the exercises, and people are always surprised when they hear my singing voice, which is much growlier and raspy and deeper than when i speak normal (i sing mainly punk rock), and this is 4,5 years into the course, so i doubt my speaking voice will at some point decide to follow the direction of my singing voice :)