Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Advanced Singer ready to help beginner/intermediate

michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
Hey KTVA students,

This community and Ken's instruction have helped me tremendously. I took two in-person lessons with Ken.

Since starting 1yr and a half ago I've posted dozens of times, created several YouTube videos on my account, and am currently booked through August to play every other weekend as a singer/guitarist paid $250+/night. This is something I didn't even think possible 1yr ago.

I want give back any way possible to this community. Feel free to comment any challenges you are currently having in your singing journey. Also tag me in posts. There's some great participants that have solid feedback here.

In your posts/comments include a video so I can hear what you are doing. It's one thing to ask a question you THINK you need help with and a whole other thing to actually post your progress and get feedback.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe the community isn't very active anymore
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Thanks @michaelmusic for offering to help out people with questions, the more people that can offer advice or critique, the more active this forum stays.

I boil down my support to 2 things, how high in my range am I? and how much of my chest voice is being used? Lower ranges need less support, head voice needs less support. But, if I sing an A4 in chest, that takes alot of support, if its A4 in mixed or head voice its a bit less. You should always engage your support, it just depends on what you sing as to how much you need at any time.
  • Options
    Hello @Emjey regarding your comment, keep in mind ken says breath support is like fuel for your car. You will ALWAYS want breath support. You seem to be referring to tension as you rise in pitch and need to flip to head voice. Regardless, I'd suggest sharing a video with me of you singing a song or just ascending in range so I can hear and SEE what you are doing and provide specific feedback.
  • Options
    JimmyDRocksJimmyDRocks 3.0 Streaming Posts: 8
    Michael, looking to give back? I'd love to talk with you.

Jimmy
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Hello @Emjey as singers gain more experience it can sometimes be challenging to distinguish between chest and headvoice in the upper range. If we are doing as the course instructs, which is creating a strong powerful note from the bottom to the top of our range it can be challenging to distinguish chest and head.

That being said. Right now I can sing up to an A5. My chest limit may be around F5, however my goal each day I do exercises is to just push the chest a little bit further and when I bridge to get that note to sound as consistent as possible when getting in to head voice.

This is all theory talk, but what would be most helpful is if you posted a video of you doing an AH exercise that shows your range from bottom to top and we can discuss improving your fundamentals, which ultimately is what helps expand your range.
  • Options
    NaimNaim Member Posts: 8
    Hey @michaelmusic thanks a lot for helping us brother 💙 could you please tell me how do I have strength on the abdomen while sing, I feel weak on the abdomen area when I take a diaphragmatic breath please help me.
  • Options
    Hello @Naim Ken has some good examples of what the strength is supposed to feel like by laying down while doing a vocal exercise.

If you abdomen area feels week, maybe you are not flexing it correctly, Do a sit up, you will feel the abdomen area tighten. If you cannot do a situp I recommend to do implement some regular weight training.

Keep working and tag me in any questions you may have! Thank you for your question.
  • Options
    NaimNaim Member Posts: 8
    @michaelmusic that situp thing really helped me doing a situp and singing an AH vowel got the idea of strength that's how it supposed to feel like then? Thanks