Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Unable to sing after 4.5 years of trying

LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
edited July 2023 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hey y’all weird post today but maybe someone has an idea of what to do

I had started KTVA 2.0 in 2018 and practiced religiously. I thought I made pretty decent progress over the years. However since September of 2022 I have lost the ability to sing.
I can’t hit a single note anymore. I can’t stay on tune or in key. Whenever I open my mouth I lose all the air and can’t hold anything. I used to be able to hold notes for 15-20 seconds. Now I can’t even do the beginners scales. I’ve gone back and watched the videos and tried so hard to have the technique but no matter what my muscles are not doing what I’m telling them to do.
Unfortunately I can’t afford private coaching or anything like that to try to fix the issue.
Has anyone had something like this happen? I literally cannot sing a song without my voice cracking two seconds in. Is it possible that the muscles atrophy so bad that I can’t even do basic open throat technique anymore? (I don’t think I have vocal nodules or anything like that I don’t feel pain I just can’t make any noise that doesn’t sound like a cat being stepped on)

Edited to add: starting this January I did attempt some of the vocal repair workouts that Ken has on his channel. Did them for a few months nothing changed. I’ve been doing the starter workouts from April-July and still nothing

Comments

• Options
    ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    @LindseyBean I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds very distressing. I don't know if there is anything that we can suggest outside of Ken's vocal repair techniques. Have you been to a doctor and checked that everything is okay?
  • Options
    Dewy69Dewy69 3.0 Streaming Posts: 35
    That really is unfortunate. Lip burbles or tongue exercise even? If those are gone too, then it sounds pretty serious. I'd see a doctor and find out what has happened. Does it crack when you talk for periods of time? If you can talk okay, then you should be able to start at the very basics again. Very soft and easy. That is, after a doctor has told you all is okay.
  • Options
    @Dewy69 i can talk and yell just fine which is weird because I only have an issue when I go to sing. Once I start to sing it’s like I forget how to breathe even normally.
  • Options
    @Elara i haven’t been to a doctor in almost a decade so idk what’s going on other than what I can see with a hand mirror
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @LindseyBean Sorry to hear about this. This seems to be a case that is a bit too advanced for us to help you out on the forum. I would also advise to see a doctor and talk through this issue. If it's not anything medical, then some live vocal lessons might help. In any case, seeking help from qualified people would be the best I think.

I can imagine this must be very rough for you.
  • Options
    shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Oh no, I am so sad to read that. I thought you were making such big steps fortward. Your voice sounded awesome.
    I´ve had problems after several covid infections. So I stoped singing/practicing about 1,5 years ago.
    At the moment I feel strong enough to re-start.
    Did you suffer on covid or something else?